Leica and Jenoptik (Sinar) to cooperate

I

Iron Flatline

Press Release in German.

Typical Press Release - we're leaders in our segments, and working together means we'll be even more leaderish... followed by boilerplate about the companies.

Not sure what that means. The Sinar/Rollei/Leaf camera system is nice, but I don't see how it will help Leica, or vice versa.

Leica tried to acquire Sinar about two years ago, but discussions were terminated. But then again, Leica just got rid of their CEO, so this might be a second go at it.

Here is the same press-release in English. Maybe Jenoptik will help to develop the replacement of the M8; Jenoptik seem to have more expertise in digital imaging than Leica.

Supposedly Leica is not doing a replacement for the M8, but rather a continuous update program... semantics, I know, but this gives confidence to current potential buyers.

Leica makes great lenses, but there are already plenty of good lenses for the Hy6 program from Sinar.

Does Sinar make their own back?

Jenoptik is Carl-Zeiss Jena? The part of Zeiss that was taken by the Soviets when Germany was partitioned during WW2?

Most reactions

Back