Leica C Typ 112

Texxor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys.
I need your help to find my camera real market value.
Friend of mine gave me Leica C Typ 112 as a gift.
I was not using it and after some years decided to sell.
Looks like there is not so many of them at the market and it is hard for me to come with the price.
On Amazon there are 3 used cameras listed, the lowest one is with crack and costs 700$, the highest - 1400$. Mine is in flawless condition and has Leica leather bag.
I posted it for 1300$ at our local website, nobody contacted me.
My questions are:
How much this camera may really cost?
Is there any demand on the market for such cameras?
Cheers!

Attachments

• 8c38dfc1-779a-45b1-9016-0d5cfa0e7c5b.jpg
    8c38dfc1-779a-45b1-9016-0d5cfa0e7c5b.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 113
upd: the fact which is confusing me even more - on our local shopping website there are such new cameras for 450$, cannot understand why on Amazon it is 4 times more expensive

I expect there is not much of a demand. It's old enough to be a dinosaur in digital years, but not old enough to be a collectors item in Leica years. Used models with extras have sold for close to $400, while new have sold close to $1000.

I expect there is not much of a demand. It's old enough to be a dinosaur in digital years, but not old enough to be a collectors item in Leica years. Used models with extras have sold for close to $400, while new have sold close to $1000.
Is there real possibility for it to become collector item one day?

It is a long shot for this to become a collectors item; there are bound to be the Leica enthusiasts that want to have every model, or the camera aficionado that wants to have at least one Leica in the collection.

I feel that digital camera are difficult as potential collectors items as they depend on batteries, chargers, memory cards and such, so that in twenty years the camera becomes nothing more than a pretty paperweight (though some people will pay for this).

It's all about the red dot with the word Leica on it. That's a Panasonic LF1 -- nearly 10 year old tech with a 1/1.7 sensor. The only part of the camera that's Leica is the red dot and the pretty finish. The only reason to buy that camera in the past instead of the same camera from Panny for $$$$ less was the red dot and your ability to be seen in the right public in it's possession. You need to find that same someone today who also doesn't really care much if it takes photos since the tech in today's enthusiast compacts (1" sensor Panny LX10, Canon G9, etc.) will make that Leica look pretty pitiful. If you can get yourself onto the right yacht party you might be able to move it -- someone with lots of money who knows nothing about photography but has seen that red dot before. Sorry for the bad news.

Joe

Thanks guys.
But can it go at least for 400$?

Thanks guys.
But can it go at least for 400$?

You'll have to find that buyer. I would have no use for a Panny LF1 and would only buy one as an amusement -- an added red dot would not persuade me. My amusement price threshold is below $50.00. You need to find someone who wants that red dot. Good luck.

Joe

No.

Collector items, as a rule, are things of value.

This is merely a tiny sensor compact.

Sure there will be collectors who will want one, because they want to collect all Leica cameras ever made. But then it has to be in absolute pristine condition in the original package, and even then they wont pay much for it. Too low demand.

And as a general rule of thumb, its rare that the increase in value of any photographic product ever compensates for inflation, let alone results in an actual gain in value.

Most reactions

Back