Well Antithesis, the point you bring up and add further emphasis to is,and has been for some time now, the crux of the profitability problem for the makers of Leica camera gear; electronics HAVE indeed been treated as disposable, and to a very significant extent, so were 35mm SLR bodies made over the last few years. At one time a "Nikon" meant a professionally specified tank like an F or F2, and the lower cost bodies were called Nikkomat or Nikkormat (depending), to differentiate from a Nikon. Rolleiflex made the high-end f/2.8 and f/3.5 models, but also had the knob-wind Rolleicord models. By the mid-1980's 35mm SLR bodies were, in large part, "affordable" and I think it was 1984 that the most 35mm SLR cameras were sold, in huge part due to popular models like the anon AE-1 Program, Pentax Super Program, and Nikon FG,and other "consumer" models.
Leica has always been a maker of high-end precision cameras. True story; in the 1980's I was working at a camera store when an old German-American man from my home town made a roughly 50-mile drive to the "big city" camera store where I was working. He had with him an OLD black-painted Leica from the early 1930's with a 35mm and a 50mm. The body had almost no black paint left on it. The top plate and bottom plate were basically shiny, golden-hued bare brass. The lenses were uncoated. He had decided it was time to get a "modern camera". I asked him how long he had owned the outfit he wanted to trade in, and he said, "I got it before the war when I was a young man, must have been round '33 or 34 I guess." His last name was Gruse, and he was a proud German-American, and he was in his 70's at the time,and he asked if there were any good "German cameras" still available. I told him, no, not any more, just Leica was left. he asked me to check over the two lenses and cameras and I did. I picked up the ancient body and put it to my eye and focused and shot a frame. The shutter whispered. I wound the knob. The mechanism was smooth. I took of the 35mm and put on the 50mm. It focused like a dream.
I told him we could only offer $200 in trade in value,and that it would be far,far better to pass the cameras along to somebody who could appreciate
the fine craftsmanship. I ended up selling him a NEW, but somewhat old-stock Contax 35mm SLR with a Zeiss 50mm 1.4 on it, which he kind of grooved on because of his familiarity with the Contax name and the Zeiss lens, which actually was a kick-butt 50mm lens. What amazed me most as that this guy was a somewhat serious amateur snapper,and had owned ONE Leica and two lenses for something like 56 to 57 years,and when I checked the stuff out, it was in amazing working condition. Tight, yet smooth. Silky and precise focusing,film advance, and shutter release! One owner and over five decades of use! The two lenses he had were silver-barreled models with the old "European" f/stop sequence scales on the front of the lens.
Here is what model it was, only with almost NO black paint left on it!
File:Leica-II-p1030002.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Leica's I and II and III series and then the M3 and newer cameras were all made for LIFETIME use,and built,tested,and priced accordingly. Same with the lenses. I actually got to see one man's lifetime of wear on one pre-war II series,and it left me honored to have seen and experienced the still-fine condition of a Leica that was made 30 years before I was born, still in fine shape. I'll never forget the old man's dismay as I handed him a Nikon N8008s and 35-70 as a potential camera..."It sounds kinda tinny," he said as he shot a few demo frames, "and feels kind of cheep." I told him, "all the Japanese cameras feel that way now--they're not German made." And in the late 1980's, bodies and lenses had a VERY plasticky feeling to them.
"Nee-cone...hmmmph...." he asked me again if I had anything 'German'.
A light went off in my head....at the far end we had some Contax stuff! it was not autofocus, so it was hard to sell,and it was relegated to far-end display. I unpacked and set up the body and a 50mm Planar and handed it to him. He was sold! "Oh,goot,goot,goot, he said, it doesn't have that out-o-fogus,". I can still remember that he called autofocus "out-oh-fogus".
Yeah, I'll never forget that experience, seeing an handling a one-owner, 55+ year old, two-lens Leica system. The 8008 Nikon I showed him is already probably in a junk heap, and the Leica II is probably still in working order.