Leica M9 + Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH

Well, yeah, Leica cameras have _always_ been much more costly than cheaper cameras. Many years ago I had a 1940 Bass Camera catalogue, filled with hundreds of cameras. As I recall, a Leica IIIb with a 50mm f/2 Summar was around $395 US dollars. A Contax II with a 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar was even more expensive, at $425 US dollars. Remember, these were the "Nikon D3x" and "Canon 1Ds Mark III" of their era, and there was a tremendous amount of precision casting, milling,engraving,and hand-fitting.
See Zeiss Contax II and III for an idea of mid-1936's technology's zenith.

As my grandfather told me, at that time you could buy a used Model A Ford car for around $75. At the time, 1940, there were a number of American-made 35mm cameras like the Kodak Retina that had high-quality adjustable lenses and variable aperture lenses, and the price was around $48.50 or so. "Cheap" or consumer-grade 35mm cameras in the Bass catalog were $7.50 to $15 or so as I recall

Around the same time, the Kodak Duo, a 620 film rollfilm folder with high-quality adjustable lens and shutter was retailing for around $57.50, which according to one article is equated as being worth $793 US dollars in 2006 dollars. kodak classics - mischa koning

So yeah, in many ways, Leica and their contemporary cameras, the Zeiss-Ikon Contax 35mm rangefinders were VERY expensive. As one poster here writes, "In my BJP Almanac of 1939, a IIIb with 50 f/2 is listed at 43 GBP (a Contax II with 50 f/2 is 50.5 GBP). This was at a time when you could pick up a decent quality folding camera with a Zeiss lens for well under 10 GBP, a farm worker might be earning less than 2 GBP per week, and a skilled industrial worker perhaps double that. According to this page:

Measuring Worth - Purchasing Power of British Pound

43 GBP in 1939 is worth about 1,910 GBP (going by the retail price index) or as much as 7,305 GBP (going by average earnings) in 2007 currency. "
have leica always been expensive? - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum

Holy COW! I didn't realize it was 10 grand. That is a crazy amount of money for one lens, I must say. I think I'd rather have a full line-up of L's and a nice body or two, but that's just me. Maybe one day when I'm sipping $500 champagne in my $4000 armani suit, I'll think otherwise.

And I'm curious... have Leica lenses always been as that proportionately expensive? Like, as compared to other brands? I know they're pretty steep... but 10 large for a 50mm prime?

I have a full line up of L glass... from 16-35 f/2.8 on up to 500mm f/4. If I didn't need the stuff for work, I'd sell it all for an M9 and a few Leica primes.

It's just a different way of shooting. It's relaxing, satisfying and everything that's fun about making pictures.

I won't use the word "hate"... but I have to shoot high-speed dslr with long and fast glass. I shoot race cars for a living. It's a great job and I love it. But I seriously don't like what happens to my head when I pick up a DSLR. Honestly, you become a manufacturer of images. You immediately going into production mode. You've got auto focus, you've got burst rate, I'll zoom from 70-200 or swing the other body up and start firing the with 500mm.

I have several old Leica Digilux 2 cameras. They're about 5 years old. They're 5 megapixel, the glass is 28-90 f/2 - f2/4 The cameras are a dream to shoot with. The images are out of this world. The entire experience of making a picture is totally different.

Here are a couple of pages on my Leica's and a couple of sample galleries. I love these cameras and I love shooting with them.

The Leica Digilux 2 - Journal - Motorsports Photographer ~ John Thawley :: Photography of American Le Mans, Grand Am, SPEED World Challenge

Pimp My Ride!!! - Journal - Motorsports Photographer ~ John Thawley :: Photography of American Le Mans, Grand Am, SPEED World Challenge

I have a full line up of L glass... from 16-35 f/2.8 on up to 500mm f/4. If I didn't need the stuff for work, I'd sell it all for an M9 and a few Leica primes.

John,

I remember you and your very well put together Leica Digilux 2 webpage from another forum (not too active over there though). Welcome to my part of the internet world...

By the way, that is exactly what I did. Sell my entire line of L-glass and went from an M3 to an M8 (and M3) complimented with a few primes. In a way, I am fortunate photography is a hobby so I didn't have to take into consideration requirements to complete a job.... it is for pure enjoyment. Your explanation is bang on....

Hope you stick around.

John,

I remember you and your very well put together Leica Digilux 2 webpage from another forum (not too active over there though). Welcome to my part of the internet world...

By the way, that is exactly what I did. Sell my entire line of L-glass and went from an M3 to an M8 (and M3) complimented with a few primes. In a way, I am fortunate photography is a hobby so I didn't have to take into consideration requirements to complete a job.... it is for pure enjoyment. Your explanation is bang on....

Hope you stick around.

It's my "off" season... so I should get to participate a bit. Still stay pretty busy though. This is the time of the year I get to shoot with my Leicas and more for my own enjoyment. That said, however, I will be shooting a vintage race in December and possibly a few test sessions.

I'll try to limit my on-track shooting at the vintage race. It's a little bit redundant... and they wear modern helmets, so it kind of spoils some of the shots. I like to shoot black and white for vintage. Depending on the weather and light, I'll probably wait and shoot as late as possible... they do a four-hour race... so I'll be able to shoot some high-iso (3200-6400) and get things a little gritty. We'll see what happens.

Hopefully, it will play-out where I can do a lot of background / paddock stuff with the Leicas though.

JT

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back