Leica, what's all the fuss about?

TimboAA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thattimguy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll be the first to admit it, but my knowledge of photography equipment is not every high at all. When it comes to brands, I know brand names and thats it. I hear this Leica name thrown around a lot and my short research has told me everything from the Wikipedia article, they are ugly looking, and they are expensive.

So what is all the fuss about? Please do enlighten me!

Small, and sharp. I don't know much about them either...but they are quality.

I'd never buy one though.

Based on their lab report and personal view, one photo magazine and I don't remember which one since a lot of them sound the same, indicated that the best quality digital shot they could possibly take was using the top Canon Mark II but with an adapter and Leica lens on the camera.

Leica and Zeiss have maintained a reputation for top quality lenses for more than half a century.

skieur

Ohhhhh retract that statement or face my wrath......

Leica, ugly,are you insane??? they are the cutting edge of retro chique!!

They are also probably the most comapct SLR you can buy and made at a top standard. The M8 the latest model looks pretty top notch. REVIEW.

If you are into street photography the Leica is the perfect weapon of choice... Henri Cartier-Bresson says so!!!

We should get Iron in on this. The most likely reason that the Leica may seem "ugly" is because it is not shaped like the typical SLR, bulkier and usually black. The Leicas are usually rangefinder-ish shaped, but the quality is excellent I hear, and I have no doubt about that.

OMG if Ironflatline reads this thread he is gonna hunt you down like a dog and tattoo the Leica red dot on your forehead.. :) You will be lucky if he leaves you with one good eye to still photograph with. Anyhoo, Leicas are like the Bugati of cameras. Highly refined, hand-made works of art. With a price tag to boot. If you read a bit more on them. You will notice all of their lenses are large aperature and insanely sharp from edge to edge. They have a multitude of rangefinders which is their mainstay and I believe a new dSLR on the way. Iron will be more than happy to divulge the full report once he gets a hold of this. Pray.

Ohhhhh retract that statement or face my wrath......

Leica, ugly,are you insane??? they are the cutting edge of retro chique!!

haha...
"cutting edge of retro chique" == "never updated the design, now its 'cool' again"

i'd never buy one either, even though they do seem to be quality

They are simple, quiet, reliable cameras with very good lenses. Some people make a fuss, others just use them.

The M8 isn't an SLR, by the way. Almost all the models beginning with an 'M' are rangefinder cameras, not SLRs.

Best,
Helen

Yes, I was going to mention that also, Helen. Most of their cameras are NOT SLRs...
They are famous for their rangefinders.

They are also probably the most comapct SLR you can buy and made at a top standard. The M8 the latest model looks pretty top notch. REVIEW.

Hehehe lol.. the fact that you call the M8 an SLR.... <i'll hold back further comment and have a beer instead>

<< Also a Leica lover.. R-D1s, M8, M3, and M6.. Btw... I'm selling EOS stuff to fund my Leica bug.

The best way I explain myself to my photog friends.... With the Canon DSLR, the joy comes when I'm at home seeing the fruits of my day out shooting. With the Leica, I am enjoying the whole process from beginning to end.

And no... Shooting with a Leica doesn't automatically produce photos better than my Canon....

They are certainly not ugly ... their design comes from times when ugliness in camera-design had not been invented yet :)

Hehehe lol.. the fact that you call the M8 an SLR.... <i'll hold back further comment and have a beer instead>

Jeees Louise???? I didnt say the M8 was an SLR I said the Leica build some of the most compact SLR's The R range 35mm Film cameras for example I said the M8 looks top notch.

Im going to leave the comments to you techno junkies and stick to learning about "photography"

Several Leica early R SLRs were built with a partnership with Minolta. By today's standard, the R8 and the R9 are HUGE. The most compact SLRs of that time were by far Pentax... not Leica.

But... ok.. I misunderstood.. Apologies.

btw... My M6 Titanium is for sale... (lens is NOT included)

Equipment54.jpg

I also misunderstood, so please forgive the two of us. As well as the pile of Ms, I have an R6.2 and although it is small for the R range it is nowhere near being "probably the most compact SLR you can buy", so I hope that you treat it as an honest misunderstanding on our part and do not consign us to the dreaded 'techno junkies' wastebin.

I'm doing a little comparison between the M6 and M7 with the more expensive Nikon D3 at the moment. The functionality of the Ms appears to be superior to that of the D3 in certain situations. Focusing in low light is one of them. The D3 struggles or fails, the Ms are as good as they have been for decades.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back