Lens Across America - The Traveling Lens (Round 5)

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Announcing: Lens Across America, Round 5.

------------------------------------------------

Based on my research the last round was started by @480sparky in 2014 and has successfully finished, so I'm taking it upon myself to start up a 5th round! This time we'll be using a different lens and starting a new Flickr group.

The lens is an AF Nikkor 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6D and is pictured below

The Lens! by Destin Danser, on Flickr

------------------------------------------------

The reason for this project? Simple: To show that it's not expensive gear that creates great images..... it's the person behind it. Also, we want to see how many different places and subjects we can collectively photograph with a single lens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The lenses in Rounds 1 and 2 have disappeared into the great abyss, and Round 3 lens is now unusable. Round 4 successfully concluded with the lens returning to it's original owner. Let's see if round 5 can go as smoothly as the last one did.

Here are The Rules:

1. The lens is for Nikon's F-mount.
  2. The project is for US members only. This is because of duties imposed by other countries. Sorry.
  3. PM me if you're interested in participating. The whole idea is to create a collection of images across the country with a common thread: The Lens.
  4. The first group of names was randomly arranged from the other thread where I checked to see if there would be interest in round 5. Additional names will be added to the list in the order they are received.
  5. For those who have participated in Rounds 1, 2, 3 or 4, you can still sign up for Round 5.
  6. Rule 7. Please limit your use of the lens to 7 days. One week. 168 hours. OK, so this isn't set in stone, but try to send it along in a timely manner. If you receive the lens on a Saturday, you won't rot in hell for keeping it for 9 days and sending it out the Monday next. You get the point, though: one week per participant. It's an incredibly simple concept.
  7. There's no limit to the number of photos you can take, but please only post your best 5 images..... the keepers, as it were.
  8. In this round geotagging will not be required, but please list in the description the city and state in which the photo was taken.
  9. Bad Luck Rule: This lens was cheap. If it gets broken, lost, damaged, etc, then just tell me. I'm starting this because this lens was cheap and I don't have a Nikon camera to mount it on anymore, so I've got nothing to lose. That being said, let's all be adults and send the lens out on time. I'd hate for this to end with the lens mysteriously going missing as they have in the past. If you like it that much you can find one like it on eBay for $25.

How to participate?

1. Send me a PM expressing interest. Please include your name, shipping address, email and phone number. I'll keep this information private, and will only use it if we reach a situation where we need to track down the lenses location.
  2. When you're half-way through shooting your ONE WEEK with the lens, contact the next person on The List via PM to arrange shipment to them. We will NOT be including cash in the box this time around. It's going to cost us all a few dollars to ship the lens. If you can't afford the $5-10 for shipping, then don't sign up.
  3. Once your turn comes up, make contact with the current participant (who is in possession of The Lens) to arrange for shipping to you if you have not already heard from them.
  4. When you send the lens off to the next person on the List, PM me so I can keep abreast of the whereabouts of The Lens.
  5. When you receive The Lens, PM me so I can keep abreast of the whereabouts of it.
  6. What to shoot? Well, that's totally up to you. Landscapes, macros, sports, your kids, whatever you desire..... except for naughty stuff.
  7. If, for some reason, you want to opt out, just PM me. No hard feelings. Maybe I can put you further down on the list.

Other points:

1. If anyone wants to add a small token to the project, such as a Nikon/Canon adaptor so Canon shooters can participate, or front lens cap, hood, or filter (58mm), it would be greatly appreciated. The lens currently doesn't have a front cap.
  2. Posting images for this project will be on this Flickr group and in this thread. Please embed images here from the Flickr group and not from any other source. This is to help ensure that the images don't disappear in the future.
  3. Do you need to pay for insurance or delivery confirmation when shipping? Heck no! The Lens isn't worth it. If you want to, that's fine, but the cost is yours.
  4. You don't need to shoot with just this Lens by itself. If you have a teleconverter, or macro filters/extension tubes, or a ring flash, CPL, ND or whatever else in your arsenal, by all means use it!
  5. Hopefully, this Lens will make it to everyone on the list, and possibly to some more than once. But, if it gets dropped in a lake, lost in transit or destroyed beyond use, that's life. The project will be over...... no lens can replace it as the whole purpose is for us to use just this One Lens.
  6. The lens will autofocus on Nikon bodies that have a motor in them. If yours doesn't (D40, D50, D60, D3xxx, D5xxx et al), then you'll need to focus manually.
  7. When you ship The Lens off to the next participant, please use a carrier appropriate for the mailing address. UPS, FedEx and the like cannot deliver to a Post Office box.
  8. Suggested upload size: Maximum of 1,000 pixels along the long edge of the images.
  9. Shoot film? Sure! As long as the lens works on your film body, by all means. You'll just need to scan the results in order to post them.
  10. Please keep all discussion contained to this thread and not the Flickr group. It'll get confusing if we have parallel conversations going in two locations.
So here's the list of participants: (Current user is in bold)

@JonA_CT
@MartinCrabtree
@zulu42
@jcdeboever
@480sparky
@Braineack
@snowbear

Last edited:
I’m excited to get the lens first. I’ve ordered a fresh roll of Ektar to shoot through my N75, but I’ll also take some shots with D800 just in case. Fall colors here should be peaking!

We really aren't getting much color here. So much rain over the past 5 months or so. I'll likely use the F5 and some B&W.

Latest update: I've added the names of everyone who has messaged me. If you have requested to be added and your name isn't on the list please send me another message. I don't think I missed anyone, but it's entirely possible.

I'm heading over to add you all to the Flickr group next.

I'll be sending the lens out to the first participant sometime tomorrow as long as everything goes as planned. From there, I expect I'll be pretty hands off with this project other than updating the initial post to reflect the lens's location and add new participants. I'll be here for support if anyone has any issues as well.

@Destin do you have an F-mount body you can borrow to start the project off with some of your shots?

@Destin do you have an F-mount body you can borrow to start the project off with some of your shots?

I don't, nor do I have time to take a photo in the next few days.

I do have friends who shoot Nikon still, so if the lens lives long enough to make it back to me then I'll borrow a body and finish the project off with the final photos.

Flickr Update: I don't know everyone's username or whether you're on Flickr or not so inviting you to the group would take me forever. I'm going to ask you all to head over and request to join the group:

Flickr Group

Count me in. I have the 28-85 so this is a bit different. PM sent.

Last edited:
Flickr Update: I don't know everyone's username or whether you're on Flickr or not so inviting you to the group would take me forever. I'm going to ask you all to head over and request to join the group:

Flickr Group

Screenshot_20181011-151319_Flickr.jpg

I haven’t received the lens yet! Destin is a busy guy, so I haven’t bothered him about it. I’m sure when he gets a free moment, we’ll kick this off.

I haven’t received the lens yet! Destin is a busy guy, so I haven’t bothered him about it. I’m sure when he gets a free moment, we’ll kick this off.

It’s boxed and I’m hoping to send it out today.

Sorry for the delay guys. Been a crazy week.

Most reactions

Back