What's new

Lens additions for worlds oldest student

Vespa

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
63
Reaction score
1
Location
Carmel, Indiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I am a full time photography student in Indianapolis since I retired from the Army. I am slowly building on my equipment and looking for a little guidance/ideas for lens additions. I use a Nikon D300 and I have only two zooms for now (18-55 & 70-300). I like to shot nature and news mostly. Thanks for the feedback.
 
Really need a price range for what you may be looking at, and what you want to do with it. As you can get recommendations from a $250 cheap lens, to a $9,000 big boy toys. Do you want something wider, longer, or maybe something with larger aperature / better quality lens?? Give us a little more idea, and I am sure we can help you spend your hard earned retirement savings. :lol:

Thanks for your service. :thumbup:
 
It is a question. I am a student, father of two,husband, homeowner, etc,etc. so my budget definitly has limits. But also looking at long term investments that are going to cover a broad spectrum and last for a long time. So I want better than entry level but nothing in the crazy price range. I still don't have a great grasp on lens lingo so I get a little lost on the terms sometimes. Any help appreciated.
 
It is a question. I am a student, father of two,husband, homeowner, etc,etc. so my budget definitly has limits. But also looking at long term investments that are going to cover a broad spectrum and last for a long time. So I want better than entry level but nothing in the crazy price range. I still don't have a great grasp on lens lingo so I get a little lost on the terms sometimes. Any help appreciated.

Do you want a wide angle view. Or do you want a telephoto that brings stuff in closer? Your 18-55 covers wide stuff to normal range. Your 70-300 covers normal to telephoto range. Do you want to replace one or both with a better lens. Or are you looking for something to add to what they don't cover? Wider than 18mm or longer than 300mm? And really need a range in prices your willing to spend. And if you want Nikon only. Or if your willing to try another company?
 
Maybe something like these

Nikon 28-105

Tamron 24-135 SP

The two lenses PASM suggests are actually sort of "sleeper" lenses...the Tamron 24-135 SP is their Superior Performance,and 24mm on 1.5x is actually a pretty useful focal length. Semi-wide. Decent magnification. I have seen literally hundreds and hundreds of beautiful photos made with the Tamron 24-135 SP, by two talented shooters I know who used it as their main walkaround lens. For the price, the Tamron 24-135 SP has to be one one of the best values.
 
I did consider just replying the OP "Ask Derrel" :)
 
I'd look for one of these:

Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 af-d:

80-200mm-f28-d-950.jpg



The ones with the single ring sell for around $400 in great condition on ebay--buying from ebay is pretty safe as all purchases are protected by their buyers protection program, just don't buy anything listed "as is" or "for parts."

The older 80-200mm f2.8 lenses have amazing optical quality, just as good as the new 70-200mm VR2 which costs nearly $2000.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom