Lens advice for Nikon

ljcj29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a complete amateur photog and need some advice. I am going on a trip and must travel light but will be taking pix at a wedding as well as some sight-seeing photos. I own a Nikon D70 w/ 50mm 1.8 lens and no external flash. I am looking at buying one of these lenses as the one I'd love to buy (Nikkor 18-200mm VR) is out of my price range. What are your thoughts and recommendations on these? Also for the Sigmas, is it worth spending the extra $ for the 250mm compared to the 200mm?

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS
Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Macro

Thanks

I dont honestly know much about any of them. I know they all show typical distortion and have miserable low-light performance. However, the 18-250 Sigma (HSM) and Tamron seem to be okay. Id say there will be no way you can shoot a wedding correctly with these lenses and no external flash unless the wedding is outdoors. Id look for some direct comparisons..Im sure there are some out there for the top two, bottom two, and probably all three. Id save the money and get something with better low-light performance.

Mark

Id say there will be no way you can shoot a wedding correctly with these lenses and no external flash unless the wedding is outdoors.
Mark

Great thanks....Wedding is outdoors. I should have mentioned that earlier. ;) Maybe I should look into getting a flash as well.

Would love to still hear more thoughts. Any advice will help.

I would cross off the 18-250. The more range you throw into a single lens the more you have to compromise. I would then just compare reviews on the Sigma and Tamron 18-200's to make your final decision.

Are you the primary photographer at the wedding or are you just going to be taking some snapshots for a friend or relative in addition to a professional?

Are you the primary photographer at the wedding or are you just going to be taking some snapshots for a friend or relative in addition to a professional?

Not the primary photographer but it is a very small wedding and bride and groom are using every ones photos. So I'd like them to come out nicely.

Not the primary photographer but it is a very small wedding and bride and groom are using every ones photos. So I'd like them to come out nicely.

90% or more of the people I have seen go this route regret it at some point. You should see if they would be willing to pay the rental fee for some decent lenses. A 24-70 and a wide angle such as the 14-24 would yield much better results than a cheap zoom lens. Assuming you know how to work the camera of course. 3-day rentals don't cost all that much. Under $150 for two pro lenses shipped and insured.

Otherwise they won't have any sharp photo's of their special day.

Since you already have a 50mm f1.8, you'll be disgusted by the image quality of any of the super-zooms.

I'd just by a cheap 70-300 af ed nikkor to supplement your current lens and call it a day. They sell for around $90 used online.

I wouldn't use super zoom for wedding. Why don't you look into the sigma 17-50 or tamron 17-50 f2.8

The Sigma 18-250 OS HSM Macro is a beast, I loved mine! Ended up selling it to get the faster 70-200 Sigma but I really enjoyed it.

I got some of my best shots with that lens, so versatile and the colors were amazing.

I had 3 copies of the Nikon 18-200 prior to the Sigma, in my opinion the Sigma copy I had was better.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back