lens advice

itsajeepthing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can't go wrong with that lens. Its a fast lens great for sports and low light photography. Its on many people's wish list.

The EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS....is the bomb. It's a fantastic lens, the only things you may not like are the price and the weight, all else is great.

I would look at a third party lens if you want a sharp telephoto zoom lens; although if you have the money to drop on Canon's L series - then go nuts I say.

If you dont need the F/2.8 or IS you could get the 70-200mm F/4 USM version, its a LOT cheaper, and in fact its slightly sharper. It is one the best bang for buck lenses! Its around $560 USD

The entire Canon 70-200mm L range of lenses are super sharp and deliver fantastic results 0 from the cheapest.
70-200mm f4 - cheapest and lightest
70-200mm f4 IS - little more expensive since you pay for the IS, but it lets you handhold at a slower shutter speed
70-200mm f2.8 - larger, heavier and more expensive, but you have a wider max aperture - comes in handy in low light conditions. Also a wide max aperture is good if you are planning on using teleconverters since you will lose one stop for a 1.4teleconverter (moving you to f4) and 2 stops with a 2TC (moving you to f5.6 which is the autofocus limit on all Canon DSLRs barring the 1D line).
70-200mm f2.8 IS - most expensive and again your paying for the IS feature

Some do claim that the f4 is sharper at f4 than the f2.8, but honestly speaking the difference here is very minor and in the field actual photographer skills will most likley be the bigger factor in quality.
As for weight I am not a strong person and yet I can happily use a 70-200mm f2.8 IS for a day shooting without too much trouble - its heavy and takes getting used to, but its not out of the question.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back