Lens Advice???

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've posted a few questions on lenses recently and I'm CLOSER to making the final decision. So, I apologize for the multiple posts but this is my first lens/dSLR so if I seem overly anal, that's why.

I'm set on getting the D50 but the store I'm looking at offers different lenses with it. Both are Nikkors... a 28 - 80 mm or a 18 - 55 mm. The 18 - 55 is about $100 more expensive.

Since they're both Nikkors I would assume they're of similar quality but this is really where my lack of knowledge starts to show up. Any advice or recommendations?

Very much appreciated.

Congratulations on the new Nikon! If you're stuck with one lens you'll want to pick the 18-55. Digital SLR's like the D50 magnify the image thus that 18 will translate to roughly a 33mm. That should give you some flexibility as a starting point. the 28 - 80 will be closer to 50mm on the wide end. For my taste that's a bit too narrow in many situations. Next save up for a more telephoto lens, and finally break the bank for a wide angle and you're all set. Welcome to the budget ravishing world of photography:wink:

Go into a store and ask to try both lenses (or similar) on a D50 or other Nikon digital body. This should tell you right away if you want a wider lens or a longer lens. As Bondseye mentioned, the D50 has a crop factor (not actually a magnification)...so the lenses seem longer than they would on a 35mm camera...however, if you have no notion of what they would be like on a 35mm camera...then this really has no meaning for you. That's why I suggest trying both of them out before you buy.

Yes crop, that's what i meant:er:
Any way - it's nice to see a hockey fan on the forum. I hope we can be friends even though I'm a huge carolina fan. The Oilers had a great run, and it was fun to watch them beat Detroit.

I'm still a little bitter about loosing The Cup, but I'll give you a chance ;)

Right now I'm more worried about stupid Chris Pronger. If you haven't heard, he has asked for a trade out of Edmonton.

Big Mike said:
I'm still a little bitter about loosing The Cup, but I'll give you a chance ;)

Right now I'm more worried about stupid Chris Pronger. If you haven't heard, he has asked for a trade out of Edmonton.
Yes, I did... I'm hoping if he does get traded it's somewhere in the west. I'd hate to see him four times a year that guy's a beast. The oilers should be able to get a quality player or two for him.

If you can swing the extra cash, I would recommend the Nikkor 18-70mm over both of those other lenses. It's around $300. For that price range the 18-70mm is a very good lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back