Lens and lighting kit buying advice for product photography

Brentmr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I’m looking for recommendations for a lens and a lighting setup for some studio product photography for my company that sells baby and nursery products (bibs, burp cloths, blankets, crib sheets, etc.). The products will range in size from approx. 8”x8” to 60”x60”. I will be taking close up stills of the products, stills of products with props (e.g. cribs, stuffed animals, etc.) and portrait shots of products with mom’s and babies. I will also be shooting some basic video of the products for promotional material. All photos and video will be taken in my home studio. The room I will be working in is 23’x12’, it has several windows so there is a descent amount of natural light, the ceiling is vaulted starting at 6’ at one wall and extending up to around 15’ at the opposite wall.

I have a $2000 budget. With this $2000 I would like to purchase one additional lens and would also like to get a fairly descent lighting kit or setup (preferably continuous lighting being that I will be shooting some video as well). $1000 on each or $1500 on 1, $500 on the other.

Current Equipment:
Nikon D750
Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5
Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Sample images of desired outcome are attached.

*NOTE: I know it would be ideal to hire a professional but we have a large quantity of products and through researching the subject found it would be much more affordable to take this on ourselves at this time.

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post links.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend this lens: Nikon 24-85mm / 3.5-4.5

Oh, you have it already. How is the lens falling short of your requirements.
Or do you just want a new lens ?

I'd recommend putting the entire $$ into the lighting and maybe backgrounds.
I don't know anything about continuous lighting though.

Something like a 4-5 light used Speedotron or Dynalite setup can be had for <$1000, a couple of umbrellas, a couple of medium soft-boxes and a few grids, barn doors triggers, meter and other odds & ends will add another $3-400. I'd say your current equipment list is fine lens-wise.

This YouTube channel might interest you: PHOTIGY

Its a professional product photographer. Sadly I didnt had time to really watch much of it but what little I saw looked really good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back