Lens assistance/advise

BigknockHawk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I am hoping to tap into the vast knowledge here on this board. I am getting ready to go on a cruise through the Eastern Caribbean and am looking to get a new lens to take along. First of all, my set up is a Canon T1i and I have the standard two lenses that came with a kit (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and a 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6).

I am thinking about getting another wide angle or super wide angle lens. I have looked online at a Tamron 17-50mm f5.8; Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5; and the Canon 20mm f/2.8.

The first thing I am unsure of is just exactly how much difference each of these would be from my "stock" 18-55mm I already have? Also, are these the lenses I should be looking at to expand my options?

I am still fairly new at the digital SLR photography and appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you!!

My recommendation would be for the Tokina 11-16; it gets VERY good reviews and is a constant f 2.8. You'll notice a BIG difference in the field of view between a 10 or 11mm wide angle and your current 18mm.

As to whether or not this is where you should be expanding, that's a question only you can answer. When you're shooting, do you find yourself wanting a longer lens, a wider one or a faster one? Think about this for a bit and make your decision from there.

My recommendation would be for the Tokina 11-16; it gets VERY good reviews and is a constant f 2.8. You'll notice a BIG difference in the field of view between a 10 or 11mm wide angle and your current 18mm.

As to whether or not this is where you should be expanding, that's a question only you can answer. When you're shooting, do you find yourself wanting a longer lens, a wider one or a faster one? Think about this for a bit and make your decision from there.

Well, I would say that I am interested in taking 3 or 4 "types" of shots. First I like to take scenery or landscape shots (sunsets, mountain ranges, nature, etc.). For that, this is the reason I am looking for a good wide angle. Next I like to take macro type shots, very close-up. I realize I need to eventually get a good 1:1 ratio lens. That is in the future. I also like to take sports or activity shots. Right now, that is what I use my 55-250mm lens for, primarily, so I can get fairly close up. But I also know I need a faster lens for those shots to be really good.

I am not into portrait shots too much, but I need to have something to take them because, inevitably, at family gatherings, I get asked to take the pics.

Thanks for your response by the way.

I went to check out your web site. Very impressive! I was wondering what lenses you used for your "Landscapes & Cityscapes" as well?

Thanks! Most of those were taken with either my trusty old 18-70, or my 24-70.

It does sound like the wide-angle might be a good next lens for you. Macro lenses and fast tele-zooms are both on the pricey end of the scale, but you can pick up a set of macro extension tubes to use with your current lenses for ~$100.

Thanks! Most of those were taken with either my trusty old 18-70, or my 24-70.

It does sound like the wide-angle might be a good next lens for you. Macro lenses and fast tele-zooms are both on the pricey end of the scale, but you can pick up a set of macro extension tubes to use with your current lenses for ~$100.

Thank you! I will have to look into that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back