Lens Dilemma!

yioties

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I got a gift of a $300 Henry's Camera Store Gift Card as a thank you for baptizing my friends little girl and now I'm having a slight problem choosing what to buy.

I usually take pics of my pics and some miscellaneous images here and there.

I'm content with my 50mm 1.8g and my kit lens has also served me well.
Now I'm thinking maybe a zoom or a fixed Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 Non-VC.

A 55-300vr used from Henry's will cost me just the card
A 70-300 vc Tamron will cost me $100 more
The nikon version $200 more
Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 Non-VC just the card

I really don't want to add money but I'm struggling to make this stupid decision! I'm a 41 year old dork I KNOW!

If you have any other suggestions for a lens I would much appreciate it.

I have a D5100

Thanks Peter!

depends what you want to shoot.

I like the 17-55/2.8 for landscape, inside and portrait work - though you have overlap with your 50
the others have longer focal length for other stuff .....

so it depends what you have a priority on

Would you prefer (a) to expand to telephoto range or (b) keep in your current range with better quality?

(a) The 55-300vr is good for you card, is Nikon, and will complement you current coverage now to telephoto too.

(b) The 17-50 2.8 would be a great upgrade of your current setting, so you can resell the 18-55mm kit lens and maybe get a 35mm 1.8G with the money you will make.

I've heard from multiple very good sources, like Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com that the Tamron 17-50 NON-VC is the one you want, as opposed to the new and entirely re-designed and substantially inferior VC follow-up. I think that would make a really good everyday zoom lens for the widest variety of indoor shots. As far as the Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR--I think THAT is a lens that is best bought on the used market, since the used market has a LOT of them, and the new,retail price on that lens is just, well, ridiculously too high, based on how many people want a 70-300 lens.

If you need a daylight tele-zoom, I think the Tamron or the Nikkor would be good choices. I have the Nikon, and have owned their old, cheap, ultra-average 70-300 G-series, the uber-light, color-fringy-special from a decade ago...THAT's not one to buy...but the new 70-300 AF-S VR-G is a decent lens, and focuses pretty well--it works for daylight youth soccer pretty well, and from 70-200 is really quite,quite good, and it's an easy to carry lens for hikes, trips to the seashore, etc..

The 55-300 has "the range", but has a reputation as being a slow focusing lens. I have not used it, but I keep hearing it's slow compared to the 70-300VR or other, even more-costly lenses.

Peter get the 70-300mm VR!!!

The 70-300vr used here in Toronto goes around $300 but No one wants the gift card. Believe me I have tried! I am waiting on a response for a Tamron 17-50 Non-VC. I had an offer for a 18-250 sigma macro and turned it down. I'm not a fan of super zooms.

My whole thing is I live in Toronto so not a lot of use for a zoom lens. I don't know if I'm making sense but I'm trying to make a logical decision and not a impulse buy.

My whole thing is I live in Toronto so not a lot of use for a zoom lens. I don't know if I'm making sense but I'm trying to make a logical decision and not a impulse buy.
LOL I actually didn't see you are a fellow Torontonian, well I don't think its about where you live but more your type and style of shooting you do.
I use my 70-300mm VR ALL the time!!! as you know we have so many beautiful parks in TO and so many critters to shoot there, get the 70-300mm VR, I am pretty sure once you will use it you will find it hard to go back.

I think this forum is a lucky charm man! I just got a hit for a straight up deal for a Nikon 70-300vr with my gift card! hahahaha

I think this forum is a lucky charm man! I just got a hit for a straight up deal for a Nikon 70-300vr with my gift card! hahahaha
Good luck, check the lens on your camera and be sure this is the VR version of this lens, the older 70-300mm (non VR) were not too impressive optically.
I bought my lens used too, a guy came with his car I got in, we chatted for 5 minutes, he showed me the lens, I didn't even try it, got out and he drove off, it was almost like a drive by lensing.
Got am amazing lens, excellent condition and sharp as a whistle.

Just got the 70-300mm VR today! Thanks for all the advice boys, I really appreciate it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back