Lens Double Vision

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The other night, I was trying to take pictures of the moon, as well as the clouds. I was focusing on the clouds, then the moon, planning on superimposing one photo on another, so that I could have the bright moon, as well as the clouds showing and in focus. All my shots of clouds have two moons, one over-exposed ( which I would expect) in its actual location, the other "moon" at a location close to the bottom of the photo, not in its actual position. Is this something that I can prevent with technique? Under other conditions, this lens is fine.
I was using a Canon prime 100mm.

Can you post one of the shots so we can see, that makes it much easier to help you troubleshoot. Off the top of my head possible causes are a filter or lens flare (I got some in some of my moon shots that night because it was so bright) but without seeing it is impossible to say for sure!

remove your UV filter.

You seem unanimous. In fact, I have been using a UV filter for everything; I will remove it and try again this evening, barring rain. If that is not the problem, I will post a photo.

No...the UV filter is the problem. That's guaranteed. This is a common issue, well-known.

You seem unanimous. In fact, I have been using a UV filter for everything; I will remove it and try again this evening, barring rain. If that is not the problem, I will post a photo.
I was going to say the same thing.
As Derrel mentions, it's a well known problem with inexpensive filters.

Don't you like the coincidence that we are telling you that you have a UV filter and you didn't even mention it?

I thought "Cheap UV filter," before I even opened the post. Why? Because every place I have been on-line has been FLOODED with blood moon and eclipse photos...and I know that UV filters, even good ones, will very,very,very often cause what is called a ghost image whenever a lighted object is photographed against a dark field; birthday cake candles, street lights, stadium lights, the moon, whatever...the lighted object will very often create an easily-seen ghost image of itself that can be seen very clearly against the dark field part of the image. I have a $100 B+W 010 clear that created some awful birthday candle ghosts on a shot I did about 12 years ago. That was the week I stopped using UV filters and clear protective filters on any kind of regular or even semi-regular basis.

I thought "Cheap UV filter," before I even opened the post. Why? Because every place I have been on-line has been FLOODED with blood moon and eclipse photos...and I know that UV filters, even good ones, will very,very,very often cause what is called a ghost image whenever a lighted object is photographed against a dark field; birthday cake candles, street lights, stadium lights, the moon, whatever...the lighted object will very often create an easily-seen ghost image of itself that can be seen very clearly against the dark field part of the image. I have a $100 B+W 010 clear that created some awful birthday candle ghosts on a shot I did about 12 years ago. That was the week I stopped using UV filters and clear protective filters on any kind of regular or even semi-regular basis.
My eye glasses show double stars every time I look up. I used to know which ones were double, now they all are :(

Thank you. You were all correct. We had a clear sky last night and the double image was no longer an issue with the UV filter removed.

great. now a safe place to store it while not in use would be a trash can.

Okay, I've stopped laughing. I thought that most photographers used UV filters mainly for physical protection for the lens.

Most reactions

Back