Lens fell off camera?!?

Look up the phrase, "yanking your chain", and there's a picture of me, leading you around by a chain, while you whine like a little dog...seriously, you're there in the picture, wearing your Canon Fanboy matching jammie top and pants...

:lmao:

:spank:

Schadenfreude (it's somewhere before stick-up-your-aSS) (pronounced /ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/ Audio (US) (help·info), German pronunciation: [ˈʃaːdənˌfʁɔʏdə]) is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.[1] This German word is used as a loanword in English and some other languages, and has been calqued in Danish and Norwegian as skadefryd and Swedish as skadeglädje.

You may have just found the perfect word for the emotion that I get when I look at your Avatar, D. Now I know where that smile and overjoyed feeling comes from. The misfortune of others, particularly you, who refuses to acknowledge that you can't bash Canon on something that Nikon does THE EXACT SAME WAY. Scary, I know right?

Failing to acknowledge that it also happens to Nikon users is just stupid... But what's that phrase...? Selectively blind? Well Derrel, I regret to inform you that prescription glasses cannot help those who are selectively blind, and choose what they want to hear or believe.

Seriously Tyler, maybe you ought to lay off for a few hours, then read up on me. Until then, perhaps a big dose of STFU would be in order for you, along with a double dose of Talkn' out of Your A$$ medicine...

Derrel's Photography Blog: Don't Believe The Slanderous Claptrap

Throughout this thread, you have appeared to be so impaired that you repeatedly could NOT spot a JOKE from a fricking mile away. Look up the phrase, "yanking your chain", and there's a picture of me, leading you around by a chain, while you whine like a little dog...seriously, you're there in the picture, wearing your Canon Fanboy matching jammie top and pants...

Actions speak louder than words D. You can't seem to leave Canon alone for any reason. You just can't seem to pull yourself away from it. I don't understand why... Normally I just ignore it. But when you then make posts about how Canon does "such and such" incorrectly, CONSTANTLY.

You also can't seem to get it out of your head that Marijuana doesn't impair motor skills, cognitive capacity, or general brain function.

Maybe if you're going to try your hand at humor, you might want to give jokes a shot.

Your attempt at being sarcastic or joking is less than convincing because you spend your spare time slobbing on the figurative dong of Nikon. I'm glad you enjoy a certain brand, and that their camera system works well for you. You can't just post a link saying "Here's a biased point of view from my photography blog because I've been taking a lot of heat for being a huge Nikon fan. To the point where I post in others threads to talk about and promote Nikon." You did it, I don't buy it. But you did it.

All I am asking if for you want to call someone a fanboy, fess up to it yourself first. If not, maybe you could act your age? I hear that water aerobics is great for your age group. Maybe you could get an underwater rig and bring your passion to the poolside with a tall glass of Ensure. :thumbup:

As for anyone else that has questioned my "news following" beliefs, I don't watch network News. I'll occasionally watch the Daily Show, only because Jon Stewart checks his facts.

I can concretely without a doubt say that Fox News is THE WORST news channel. I don't watch any of them, but I almost vomit every time Glenn Beck opens his mouth. This isn't a place for politics, so I digress. (However, should it be about politics? Aren't news networks supposed to be unbiased in the first place?)

The misfortune of others, particularly you, who refuses to acknowledge that you can't bash Canon on something that Nikon does THE EXACT SAME WAY. Scary, I know right?

Based on your signature, Derrel has already stated that he has more than 3x the investment in Canon than you. He also happens to have an investment in Nikon... do you? Seems he appreciates the pros and cons of both systems.... do you?

This is relevant to what? I'm not bashing Nikon. I haven't said anything bad about Nikon. This isn't actually about Nikon at all, come to think of it. I thought it was a post about someone who's lens fell off their camera. Not about who owns what gear. I'm just saying that it's equally as probably through user error to drop a lens of ANY camera body.

This isn't a place for politics, so I digress.

No...you didn't... You spouted off more...

I can tell you from experience that pot does indeed effect motor skills and the capacity to make informed decisions.

I'm quite sure though...that you can get fried enough from smoking it that it can't impair you any further. I've only smoked it 3 times in my life though...and I can tell you I shouldn't operate machinery while high.

^^ notice how I didn't bring up anything political here...this is how you do it man...lol. You gotta do more, say less.

The misfortune of others, particularly you, who refuses to acknowledge that you can't bash Canon on something that Nikon does THE EXACT SAME WAY. Scary, I know right?

Based on your signature, Derrel has already stated that he has more than 3x the investment in Canon than you. He also happens to have an investment in Nikon... do you? Seems he appreciates the pros and cons of both systems.... do you?

This is relevant to what? I'm not bashing Nikon. I haven't said anything bad about Nikon. This isn't actually about Nikon at all, come to think of it. I thought it was a post about someone who's lens fell off their camera. Not about who owns what gear. I'm just saying that it's equally as probably through user error to drop a lens of ANY camera body.

:FacePalm: It is relevant to the statement you made that I quoted. You clearly implied that Derrel has some vendetta against Canon (and continue to do so) and that he is some sort of Nikon Fanboy. I'm citing examples of how that is untrue.

Marijane brings out my artistic and creative side. Perhaps I should pick that habit up again, because my photographic creativity is lacking big time! :mrgreen:

I've had this happen to me once. Luckily my hood was on. The 70-200 fell of the 5D Mk2 as I was walking. Nothing broke! So now I'm always scared about walking with my lens on the camera. One thing I noticed is that when I put the lens on and I move it back and forth, it moves a little, not like solid. It's very minor. I tested it and it hasn't happened again.

If feels more solid when I put it on my T1i though. How is the fitting w/ your camera? Is this normal?

Then I saw this! Canon Lenses Are FALLING Off 5D MK2 & More (Updated).

My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine. The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to accidentally unlock without realizing it. I went to twist the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off. Blogs are full of compaints of this occurance on mkii's.
This is definitely a design flaw. It's not user error. The button should be relocated or made to require more force to release or have a detent position.
It's a shame that you have to gaffer tape a $2300 lens to a $2000 camera. Be forewarned.

Derrel, normally there are times that you have well thought out and informative posts. But please, this time, just stop.

The release buttons on both Nikon and Camera are only a fraction of an inch from each other (roughly), and there have been reports of lenses falling off D3's as well.

Please, I understand you have some kind of personal vendetta against Canon for whatever reason, just don't be a silly ninny when it comes to this stuff, because it's inaccurate.

D3 fell off my 24-70: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review

Smoke another bowl dude. It's HILARIOUS...Canon 5D users with lenses dropping off their bodies!!! Come on...that's hilarious!!!

I have over $10,000 worth of Canon equipment..my main camera is a Canon 5D and a 70-200 and a 24-105-L...so, have a few more bong hits dude...enjoy....relax a little, un-bunch your panties...see the humor in life man...

I guess I don't see the humor in incorrect information... Sorry dude. :confused:

It's for the same reason that I don't watch Fox news.

Come on, Tyler! Derrel's post is funny and so is Robin's (EF-This mount)

I've had this happen to me once. Luckily my hood was on. The 70-200 fell of the 5D Mk2 as I was walking. Nothing broke! So now I'm always scared about walking with my lens on the camera. One thing I noticed is that when I put the lens on and I move it back and forth, it moves a little, not like solid. It's very minor. I tested it and it hasn't happened again.

If feels more solid when I put it on my T1i though. How is the fitting w/ your camera? Is this normal?

Hi MohaimenK,

Is it just that lens or do all of your lenses do that? I have an old Pentax from the 80's (my first camera) and the original lens I had was doing that. It turned out that I had been picking it up by the lens instead of the body of the camera and the plastic was cracked where the base of it attached to the body of the camera.

Uh oh! Zombie thread back from the dead.

Well at least you can feel good about the fact that it didn't roll into the Thames.

You make it sound as though merely staring at the button with the wrong expression on your face will make the lens self-eject and hurl itself into the nearest river.

Owning a 5D II, I can tell you that it takes some pressure to push that button in enough to unlock it and THEN, while still holding the button, the lens has to be rotated about 60º before the bayonet mount reaches the point where it can be removed. The fit of a Canon lens to a body is snug enough that it doesn't rotate easily (if I had that much resistance turning a focus ring or zoom ring the lens would be going in for repair).

I'm thinking that somehow you managed to press (with some pressure) and rotate the lens at some other point (e.g. perhaps putting it into the bag or pulling it out of the bag) and were using it with the lens fully locked.

Get into the habit of good camera holding technique. See page 34 of your 5D II manual. Right hand FIRMLY on the grip. Left hand BELOW the camera and holding the lens with palms facing UP. Elbows in below the camera and resting in your chest/stomach. In that position, had the lens managed to become detached, your left hand would be holding onto the lens at the time.

My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine. The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to accidentally unlock without realizing it. I went to twist the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off. Blogs are full of compaints of this occurance on mkii's.
This is definitely a design flaw. It's not user error. The button should be relocated or made to require more force to release or have a detent position.
It's a shame that you have to gaffer tape a $2300 lens to a $2000 camera. Be forewarned.

I'm not so sure that this problem cannot be contributed to user error. I don't have a 5D Mkll or MKlll, but on my 60d, my daughter (age 8), carried it around many a motocross track and never had it fall off. That being said, if I dropped my lens into the river, would probably be looking to blame someone too, lol.

If I dropped my lens into a river, I would go in after it.

Hmmm ... luckily it never happened to me, not even close to it ... and I have years of experience with 5 Canon EF bodies, of which there are three 5D / 5Dmk2 ... and some heavy lenses. I all fits like it should.

Most reactions

Back