Lens filter help

LeroyLion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive been looking for an article or a store or anything online that I can learn about filters from. Unfortunatly, Im in Iraq using the governments internet so many sites are difficult to access or forbidden. If anyone can help me out, im just looking for info. I tried amazon and didnt find much. Ive tried circuitcity and bestbuy and all them w/o any great results. Point me in the right direction plz.

Sure! If you have specific questions, just post them -- I'm sure someone here can answer them.

So Im looking at the Cokin filter set and Im considering getting it with a few of the more basic filters such as grey grad and polarizer and such. Now, I think for my sony alpha 100 and the lenses I have for it, that P size is what I need. But I cant find anything that says specifically what size the sony is. Im guessing based off the fact that its the size of most other DSLRs. Am I assuming correctly?

Hmmm ... all depends on the lens. The Cokin system uses little metal adapter rings to fit on the front of your lens. You get the ring for the filter size of your lens.

I went to the Sony site --

The 18-70 uses a 55mm filter
I cant find the 75-300 f4-5.5. There is a 75-300 f4.5-5.6 that uses a 55mm filter as well.

If these are your lenses, you need the Cokin P filter holder(that's the wide angle version so you can use it with your 18-70) and the 55mm adapter ring. Then you can pick your Cokin P series filters.

I'd recommend going with the 'P' size regardless of whether you have a lens that needs it now or not, simply because at some point you probably will, and it would be really annoying to have to buy all those filters over again. As icassell points out, if you do have a wide-angle, the 'P' is a must.

There is even a wider version than P -- the Z series. Much more expensive, though.

Since both of your lenses seem to have 55mm threads so you don't need lots of different filter sizes, you might also consider fixed filters rather than Cokin.

Since both of your lenses seem to have 55mm threads so you don't need lots of different filter sizes, you might also consider fixed filters rather than Cokin.

Go threaded filters for UV/Skylight/CPOL, and similar. Go with gel for any sort of graduated filter.

Most reactions

Back