What's new

lens for a wedding?

tissa

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
156
Reaction score
5
Location
Louisiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there Nikon owners? I will be photographing my first wedding soon and I will be renting a lens. Which one from the ones below is my best bet in your opinion?
I am looking at 3 main things:
1) MUST autofocus on my D5100 (don't know if all of them would)
2) Low f stop
3) Wide angle

Here are my choices:


Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon


Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S ED


Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD for Nikon


Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DiII for Nikon


Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G AF-S DX IF-ED
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM for Nikon DX

 
Oh.. My... Ok

Must haves for a wedding are a wide zoom, the preferred is the 24-70 or there about. SOmeone here just did a review of the Tamron 24-70VC and it was extremely favorable. The VC would be nice to have!
And a long zoom, the preferred being the 70-200 f/2.8
 
rent a 17-55, 70-200, and two SB-whatever's.
 
rent a 17-55, 70-200, and two SB-whatever's.

I am only going to rent one. They are ot paying for equipment, so I am gonna rent one from the above and the rest will do with my 35mm f1.8 and with my 70-200mm f4. So I need something "in between" with a low f.
I am concerned about a lens not focusing on my D5100 and producing blurry images.
 
Go for the new Tamron 24-70 VC if you can find it in. That VC might come in REALLY handy in the church and low light situations. It'll focus. Besides, the review on it has me REALLY wanting it! Christmas???
 
Go for the new Tamron 24-70 VC if you can find it in. That VC might come in REALLY handy in the church and low light situations. It'll focus. Besides, the review on it has me REALLY wanting it! Christmas???

Thank you for the suggestion!
 
An even bigger concern is your camera's ability in lowlight at high ISO. If you go to the major rental sites, they have "wedding kits" for rent: a good high ISO camera, 3 lenses and a flash. Consider that.
 
I wanted to add that if you're gonna rent, go with the Nikkor 24-70. Skip the third party lenses.
 
tissa said:
I am only going to rent one. They are ot paying for equipment, so I am gonna rent one from the above and the rest will do with my 35mm f1.8 and with my 70-200mm f4. So I need something "in between" with a low f.
I am concerned about a lens not focusing on my D5100 and producing blurry images.

You have a 70-200 f4???

Is there a chance you can pick up an older sb? They are inexpensive and full manual but not hard to learn. I love my sb28.

You will need something in between the 35 and 70. That's a big gap. Like switch said, maybe a 17-55.... Or even a 24-70.
 
I'm sorry, let me get this straight. You're photographing a wedding, and you don't know which lens is 'best'? Then why are you photographing a wedding?

View attachment 17995

Before someone becomes a pro wedding photographer, they have their first wedding shot and not all of us on here are fully equipped with all the lenses out there. Neither do all of us know what is "best" simply by not having enough experience. So do not be so sarcastic. I will do fine with what I have AND with a lens that I will rent. Thanks!
 
rent a 17-55, 70-200, and two SB-whatever's.

Well, then rent the Nikkor 17-55 DX lens....it is "the best" wide-to-short tele zoom lens in F-mount for a crop-body Nikon like your D5100. Stay away from the 24-70mm lenses on D51000--not wide-angle enough!!!
 
That f/4 lens is really going to hurt on your camera if this is in a church. I'd most definitely look into adding a flash. Is there flash photography allowed during the ceremony? Most churches do not allow it and many to most require you to be behind the last seated guest during the ceremony. You are going to NEED that70-200 and the f/4 may just shut you down in an average church.
Make sure you go scout the church first so you aren't getting hurt. You can use your kit lens for the wide angle in all of the other images with a flash, but that ceremony stuff is the stuff that can kill you. Make sure you know what the church's regulations are about where you can stand and if you can use flash during the ceremony.
 
MLeeK said:
That f/4 lens is really going to hurt on your camera if this is in a church. I'd most definitely look into adding a flash. Is there flash photography allowed during the ceremony? Most churches do not allow it and many to most require you to be behind the last seated guest during the ceremony. You are going to NEED that70-200 and the f/4 may just shut you down in an average church.
Make sure you go scout the church first so you aren't getting hurt. You can use your kit lens for the wide angle in all of the other images with a flash, but that ceremony stuff is the stuff that can kill you. Make sure you know what the church's regulations are about where you can stand and if you can use flash during the ceremony.

The reaL question is: Does the OP even know how to use flash... if it is allowed?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom