lens for a wedding?

I am assuming the best here. Today is my glass is half full day.

It used to be that wedding photographers were near the bottom of the barrel. Right above school photographers. Not so today. That is why you are out of your mind to start shooting a wedding without knowing what equipment to bring. A pro photographer shoots their first wedding after being an assistant for a hundred or so weddings. Then you become a second shooter for a couple of years. By the time you are ready to be the lead photographer you should know what you are doing. There are no short cuts. Think about that before you put someone's wedding day at risk. Now if you say you are ready then put your money where your mouth is. Post some pics and prove us wrong.

I'm not going to tell you what lens to rent. You should already know that.

CCericola said:
It used to be that wedding photographers were near the bottom of the barrel. Right above school photographers. Not so today. That is why you are out of your mind to start shooting a wedding without knowing what equipment to bring. A pro photographer shoots their first wedding after being an assistant for a hundred or so weddings. Then you become a second shooter for a couple of years. By the time you are ready to be the lead photographer you should know what you are doing. There are no short cuts. Think about that before you put someone's wedding day at risk. Now if you say you are ready then put your money where your mouth is. Post some pics and prove us wrong.

I'm not going to tell you what lens to rent. You should already know that.

I keep waiting for the manufacturers to put a "Wedding" scene mode on the entry level bodies... to accommodate the new breed of PROfessionals! :) lol!

MLeeK said:
That f/4 lens is really going to hurt on your camera if this is in a church. I'd most definitely look into adding a flash. Is there flash photography allowed during the ceremony? Most churches do not allow it and many to most require you to be behind the last seated guest during the ceremony. You are going to NEED that70-200 and the f/4 may just shut you down in an average church.
Make sure you go scout the church first so you aren't getting hurt. You can use your kit lens for the wide angle in all of the other images with a flash, but that ceremony stuff is the stuff that can kill you. Make sure you know what the church's regulations are about where you can stand and if you can use flash during the ceremony.

The reaL question is: Does the OP even know how to use flash... if it is allowed?
Let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that she has already scouted the venues, met with the Deacon/Rector to discuss the church's "Do's and Don'ts" list, knows where to stand, has done some light-metering so that she has a baseline for approximately what her exposures are going to be, and the ten-thousand and one other little chores that need doing before the big day.

MLeeK said:
That f/4 lens is really going to hurt on your camera if this is in a church. I'd most definitely look into adding a flash. Is there flash photography allowed during the ceremony? Most churches do not allow it and many to most require you to be behind the last seated guest during the ceremony. You are going to NEED that70-200 and the f/4 may just shut you down in an average church.
Make sure you go scout the church first so you aren't getting hurt. You can use your kit lens for the wide angle in all of the other images with a flash, but that ceremony stuff is the stuff that can kill you. Make sure you know what the church's regulations are about where you can stand and if you can use flash during the ceremony.

I'm still waiting to see the 70-200 f4. I didn't know tokina already released it. Unless I am missing something. OP--- you might want faster glass than f4.

Last edited:
Before someone becomes a pro wedding photographer, they have their first wedding shot and not all of us on here are fully equipped with all the lenses out there. Neither do all of us know what is "best" simply by not having enough experience. So do not be so sarcastic. I will do fine with what I have AND with a lens that I will rent. Thanks!

Well then...good luck.

I'm sorry, let me get this straight. You're photographing a wedding, and you don't know which lens is 'best'? Then why are you photographing a wedding?

View attachment 17995

Before someone becomes a pro wedding photographer, they have their first wedding shot and not all of us on here are fully equipped with all the lenses out there. Neither do all of us know what is "best" simply by not having enough experience. So do not be so sarcastic. I will do fine with what I have AND with a lens that I will rent. Thanks!
Good luck to you.
Hopefully you don't blow it. :)

By all accounts the d5100 is a very capable low light performer, in the same league as the d7000 according to reviews on the world wide web. This would put it on similar ground as the pentax k-5 which was or is the best crop camera image wise. Stick a good lens on that and it doesn't matter how good you are, the camera will sort it all out for you. (17-55)

I don't feel your ready to photograph a wedding yet if you can't answer these questions yourself... Sorry, just being honest

Wow thanks for replies and being so encouraging and supportive! Way to go!
Now let me get this straight:
1) i DON'T claim to be a pro
2) Not all people are able to afford a PRO
3) when people can't afford a PRO they go with what they can afford
4) The people who booked me have seen the photos I have taken before and they liked what they saw
5) for the money they offered me (not much at al) they are not expecting much
6) they are well aware that I have never photographed a wedding before
7) I WILL do my best

Any more questions? Or may be someone will finally give me their opinion on the best lens option instead of telling me not to photograph a wedding coz I have never done it before and I am a newbie?

Of the lenses you mention I have the tamron 17-50mm for a canon without vr. I like that lens and by all accounts it is sharper than the one with vr, so I recommend that. The 24-70 lenses will hamper group shots on a crop as it is not wide enough. Good luck and maybe post some of the day when your done

Last edited:
4) The people who booked me have seen the photos I have taken before and they liked what they saw
7) I WILL do my best

Any more questions? Or may be someone will finally give me their opinion on the best lens option instead of telling me not to photograph a wedding coz I have never done it before and I am a newbie?

I would splurge and rent two lenses..
Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 (The Sigma is also a great lens and you may be able to rent it cheaper.. the Nikon is just better).
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 (the VR1 will be cheaper to rent if they have it.. and will work awesome on your D5100).

(You say you have a 70-200 f/4... but i don't know what brand that would be.)

You'll need the 17-55 for wide shots and NOTHING will give you portraits (at a wedding) like the 70-200mm f/2.8. Most wedding photographers i know will give up their spouse before giving up their 70-200 f/2.8,

Stay away from any 24-70mm on your D5100 for weddings. It will work, and the Nikon 24-70 is one of the best... but its a hard to use range on a crop sensor camera.

Have fun... and good luck!

TheLost said:
Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 (The Sigma is also a great lens and you may be able to rent it cheaper.. the Nikon is just better).
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 (the VR1 will be cheaper to rent if they have it.. and will work awesome on your D5100).

You'll need the 17-55 for wide shots and NOTHING will give you portraits (at a wedding) like the 70-200mm f/2.8. Most wedding photographers i know will give up their spouse before giving up their 70-200 f/2.8,

Stay away from any 24-70mm on your D5100 for weddings. It will work, and the Nikon 24-70 is one of the best... but its a hard to use range on a crop sensor camera.

^+ get out there and shoot some groups/couples well before hand. Research and discuss with the couple what poses/people they want covered.

I've never shot a wedding (nor would I ever want to) ;) but that's what I would do if I were in your shoes!

I hope you have a great experience!

7) I WILL do my best

Also add to the list Back up body, flashes, batteries.
Regarding your #5, it's easy to say "we don't expect much" but it cost very little to sue someone, WRITE A CONTRACT, if you haven't do so. Be very specific as to what you will provide vs what they are expecting.

I think what a lot of people are trying to say is...

for the money they offered me (not much at al) they are not expecting much ... they are well aware that I have never photographed a wedding before
They might say that... but... people tend to take weddings seriously. Its that whole Mr. Right / Cinderella thing.. It's something you don't want to mess up.

Like everything else, the internet has some great 'how to shoot weddings' tutorials.. Read a few.. get yourself prepped.. and have fun.

Its not like you could ruin the happiest day of somebody's life :wink:
Are these the worst wedding pictures ever? bungling photographers miss out faces and forget groom's parents - Telegraph

Most reactions

New Topics

Back