scantron
TPF Noob!
- Joined
- Nov 29, 2009
- Messages
- 10
- Reaction score
- 0
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
Hi!
I just bought a Canon 20D body, and I'm looking for my first lens while learning about Canon's lineup of lenses. This is my first DSLR, I'm "graduating" from an S3IS and an old inherited Minolta film SLR. I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to seeking out lenses & gear. In the past I've just used what was given to me, and I'm not sure I was using it correctly. So I have some noob qestions...
I love this 50mm f/1.7 MD lens that the Minolta has- it feels like I'm looking out of my own eyes, which I guess is what 50mm lenses are known for?
I'm looking for an equivalent for the 20D. I often shoot in low light (with a tripod if necessary), so I'd like a fast lens. Is IS a huge deal, or can is still have some fun without it?
I think that I just want to get one decent lens for now and really get to know it. I think I'd like to get some kind of smaller zoom, maybe a cheap kit one, just to have for messing around, too.
Oh, and of course I don't have a ton of cash to spend at this point, so I'm looking at used stuff on the 'Bay. My eyes/skills aren't refined enough to know what a $1000 lens is doing! When I feel ready I'll take the plunge.
I've been looking at an EF series 50mm, f/1.8.
Like I said, I'm a beginner in these realms, so I'm sure I've inadvertently contradicted myself somehow in this post...
I just bought a Canon 20D body, and I'm looking for my first lens while learning about Canon's lineup of lenses. This is my first DSLR, I'm "graduating" from an S3IS and an old inherited Minolta film SLR. I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to seeking out lenses & gear. In the past I've just used what was given to me, and I'm not sure I was using it correctly. So I have some noob qestions...
I love this 50mm f/1.7 MD lens that the Minolta has- it feels like I'm looking out of my own eyes, which I guess is what 50mm lenses are known for?
I'm looking for an equivalent for the 20D. I often shoot in low light (with a tripod if necessary), so I'd like a fast lens. Is IS a huge deal, or can is still have some fun without it?
I think that I just want to get one decent lens for now and really get to know it. I think I'd like to get some kind of smaller zoom, maybe a cheap kit one, just to have for messing around, too.
Oh, and of course I don't have a ton of cash to spend at this point, so I'm looking at used stuff on the 'Bay. My eyes/skills aren't refined enough to know what a $1000 lens is doing! When I feel ready I'll take the plunge.
I've been looking at an EF series 50mm, f/1.8.
Like I said, I'm a beginner in these realms, so I'm sure I've inadvertently contradicted myself somehow in this post...
Last edited: