Lens Help

Ryanfru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, I am kind of new to photography and I am wondering if I can get some assistance on lens choices. I am looking for lenses that I can shoot landscapes(wide angle would be mucho appreciated), portraits, and telephoto type stuff with. I will be moving up from my Panasonic DMC-FZ18 to the Rebel XTi if that matters too much in lens decisions.

Thank you :thumbup:

Welcome aboard.

What is your budget? Lenses range from $70 to $12,000.

Welcome aboard.

What is your budget? Lenses range from $70 to $12,000.
Ok yeah lol I should of included that. I don't wanna have to pay more than 250-300 for a lens considering I'm a broke college student.

You won't get much for $300, in terms of quality lenses but you could probably put together a decent beginner's kit. I think the lens that usually comes with the Rebel cameras is the 18-55mm or maybe even the 18-55mm IS. This would be a good lens to start with. For a telephoto, the cheapest ones are the 75-300mm group. Canon has a couple and you can save a bit by going with a similar lens from Tamron or Sigma. That should be approximately $200. I would also suggest adding the 50mm F1.8 because it's large maximum aperture is something that either of those other lenses lacks. This one should be less than $100.

Yeah I noticed my budget wasn't going to cut it so new question. What lenses are a must if I could just choose 1 or 2. I'll pay up to 400-550 for each.

What do you want to do with the lenses?
That is the starting point - landscape, portrats, sports, wildlife, planes - there are a lot of subjects with different requirements for each. A wildlifer would consider a good 300mm prime a must have, whilst a birder a 500mm.

start by thinking of the use for the lens then work out if its the lens for you

It really depends on how you shoot etc. For example, if you want or need large aperture zoom lenses, then I'd suggest the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 but if that's not so important, I'd recommend the Canon 17-85mm IS.

If you really want ultra wide angles, I'd recommend the the Canon 10-22mm or the Sigma 10-20mm. If you would prefer a telephoto, I'd recommend the 70-300mm IS or the 70-200mm F4.

If a wide aperture and image quality are a top priority, then I'd suggest a prime (non zoom) lens or two. The 50mm F1.8 is dirt cheap but the 50mm F1.4 is still a good deal. The 85mm F1.8 is also a good deal.

What do you want to do with the lenses?
That is the starting point - landscape, portrats, sports, wildlife, planes - there are a lot of subjects with different requirements for each. A wildlifer would consider a good 300mm prime a must have, whilst a birder a 500mm.

start by thinking of the use for the lens then work out if its the lens for you

Landscapes, wildlife and sports will be my priority.

It really depends on how you shoot etc. For example, if you want or need large aperture zoom lenses, then I'd suggest the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 but if that's not so important, I'd recommend the Canon 17-85mm IS.

If you really want ultra wide angles, I'd recommend the the Canon 10-22mm or the Sigma 10-20mm. If you would prefer a telephoto, I'd recommend the 70-300mm IS or the 70-200mm F4.

If a wide aperture and image quality are a top priority, then I'd suggest a prime (non zoom) lens or two. The 50mm F1.8 is dirt cheap but the 50mm F1.4 is still a good deal. The 85mm F1.8 is also a good deal.

Thank you, and for night shots with low light the 50mm 1.8 would be suitable?

Most reactions

Back