What's new

Lens help!

Tensai

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Morocco
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a new lens to upgrade my gear I'l still an amateur but I want to learn new stuff and expand my knowledge... atm I have the kit lens 18-55mm and a prime lens 50mm 1.8 and I want something new... a zoom lens or just a lens that gives sharp images...

canon ef 70-300mm USM
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8
One of these or a new suggestion for less than 350euro plz.
Thank you so much for reading.
 
Hi.
What I can offer is that I have the D90 that I used with the 18-105 kit lens.
I did quite a bit pf research for what I would consider an upgrade.
I ended up with the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.
I will say that I am very happy with this lens as it has more contrast and renders truer color that the Nikon.
A word of caution though...Sigma does have lens variation. My first copy of this lens was soft in the lower left corner. I did exchange it for another copy that is dead on (I tried this in the store with the owner).
Get a good copy, and the lens is great - no regrets.
 
I think the problem is that for the price you want to pay there aren't too many choices. Out of the 2 you mentioned the 70-300 zoom will give you more flexibility focal length wise but may not be what you're looking for sharpness wise. Can't speak of the Sigma lens but it won't give you much more range than what you have now but if it gives sharper images as suggested it may be a good choice.
 
I need a new lens to upgrade my gear I'l still an amateur but I want to learn new stuff and expand my knowledge... atm I have the kit lens 18-55mm and a prime lens 50mm 1.8 and I want something new... a zoom lens or just a lens that gives sharp images...

canon ef 70-300mm USM
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8
One of these or a new suggestion for less than 350euro plz.
Thank you so much for reading.

My suggestion is going to take a different track, because frankly from the choices you proffered, I think it is one to consider so here goes.

Don't buy another lens at this point. Take the gear that you have and learn from it. Use it until you have gotten everything out of it possible. By that time your knowledge base should have expanded greatly and you will know what you need and in what order. While you are doing this you can be saving additional money for quality gear that will last for many years of shooting. The only good reason to spend money on new gear is need.
 
Last edited:
Thx a lot for the replies and suggestions guys.
@JustAnEngineer
Yes I'm planing to buy it from ebay an yep I have the 430 EX II
@gryphonslair99
This some shots I took using the 18-55mm. Tell me if u think I shold upgrade or not plz.
Hammadi Abdou: Graphic Designer | Photography
And I think I like Landscape photography more...

More importantly, why do you think you need to upgrade, and what will either of the lenses you have listed do for you that the kit lens won't at this point?
 
I wanted the zoom Lens cuz I'll be attending some concerts soon cuz I tried once with the kit lens and the images were bad...
 
I wanted the zoom Lens cuz I'll be attending some concerts soon cuz I tried once with the kit lens and the images were bad...

How were they bad and which lens are you thinking of for the concerts?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom