Lens hood cutting off corners

MostlyDigital

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My tulip lens hood is actully being photographed in the corners to some of my picures. Lens in the canon 18-55 being used on the 30D. Does anyone know why? :(

are you using any filters?

My tulip lens hood is actully being photophaphed in the corners to some of my picures. Lens in the canon 18-55 being used on the 30D. Does anyone know why? :(

Make sure that the hood is on right. The longer "petals" should be at the top and bottom (long side) of the frame, and the shorter ones at the sides. Also, make sure that you have the bayonet latch engaged all the way.

not every lens hood is the petal shape, and not every hood is a bayoneted.

I have problems like that with the rubber screw mount hoods on my 35-70 if i'm working on 35mm. You need a smaller hood and I suggest you use the Canon hoods made for their lenses, not the generic rubber or plastic ones. But than again, Canon also charges in upwards of $500 for some of their plastic hoods.

Is the hood made for the lens?. With wide-angle lenses especially it is very important to have the proper lens hood as vignetting is an issue.

Nope, no filters.

Yep the big petals are at the top, when I start out, but when I focus sometimes they move. I do not know what that latch is you speak of.

I got the hood on ebay for 10 bucks. Do'h. Maybe it doesnt fit my lens? Damn I was so excited to get the hood too. :( Does each lens have a specific hood?

You got the wrong hood. It shouldnt be a pedal hood. Reason being is that the focusing is done through the front most part of the lens, not inside the lens as some other lens do. The Canon part number should be EW-60C. Shouldnt be more then 20 bucks from BandH or the like. If you cant find one, i'll never shoot with my stock lens again, drop me a line, I might part with it.

Nope, no filters.

Yep the big petals are at the top, when I start out, but when I focus sometimes they move. I do not know what that latch is you speak of.

I got the hood on ebay for 10 bucks. Do'h. Maybe it doesnt fit my lens? Damn I was so excited to get the hood too. :( Does each lens have a specific hood?

its more of a problem for wider lenses

MPowerM3 got it right...you have the wrong hood for that lens. Petal hoods are for lenses that don't rotate when focusing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back