lens hood mounting style

ryancousins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon d3300 with the included 18-55mm lens. I would like to purchase a lens hood. I notice the Nikon and more expensive 3rd party hoods connect to the lens via the outer bayonet mount. The cheaper 3rd party hoods connect with the threading on the inside of the lens. I wonder if there is a significant difference as far as performance? In addition, I want to make sure it won't negatively affect the use of my polarizing filter. The filter has an inner threading on the end so I'm assuming I could connect one of the cheaper hoods to the end of the filter, but I'm wondering if the distance the hood extends at that point would cause any image issues?

Last edited:
If it connects via the filter threads, you'll need to orient it every shot or else you're risking vignetting.

If it connects via the filter threads, you'll need to orient it every shot or else you're risking vignetting.
oh, ya. Good point :) So it would seem the thread style hoods are kind of silly? I would assume most people wanting to take pictures outside would want the option to use both a filter and hood at the same time.

If it's a round hood, the positioning isn't relevant. A petal hood, however, is a different story.

Thread style hoods STAY ON the lens to an extreme degree, which can be a good thing much of the time. A solid, thread-in lens hood designed for a specific lens can really be handy. Most lenses of earlier eras came with or had offered dedicated, optional, thread-in hoods.

One thing about lens hoods" on APS-C or m4/3 bodies, the narrower angle of view means that the standard, stock lens hood does NOT offer the absolutely maximum protection against lens flare or ghosting; a longer lens hood, or a smaller-diameter lens hood, can often give better shading of the lens front than the "proper" hood.

My favorite lens hood for a 70-200 zoom is the 77mm screw in, rubber, Mamiya 360 lens hood; it works fantastically on a 70-200 crop-body....buuuuut...it vignettes the corners very badly on a full-frame body!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back