Lens Hood

mcopan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.triumphentertainment.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have shot with a Nikon D80 a while ago. Many helpful people told me to get a hood to reduce flairs in the shot. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I also had a couple times were the flash would be blocked because of the hood.

I bought a Nikon D5000 and don't know if I should get a hood for the upcoming bright summer of Vancouver.

Let me know the pro's and con's please.

A lens hood is for the lens not the body. You may want to specify the lens you are using. I dont use them on my wide angle but I definitely use them on 50mm and up.

I like the hood on my Tamron. It goes on backwards and that's how I usually shoot. If I shoot into the sun, or something reflecting the sun, or otherwise have flare in the shot I pop it off, turn it around, and pop it back on.

I shoot with hood on almost ALL the time. Reasons:
  • To reduce lens flare
  • Minimize adverse effects on contrast as stray light casts across the lens (causing less contrasty images).
  • Minimized metering errors due to light casting across the lens form the side.
  • Protect the front element.
Some of those are rather minor effects, but it depends on the scene. I keep it on inside and out, especially for the protection aspect.

When I take it off:
  • If I don't have my speedlight mounted, and I get shadows form the on-board flash.
  • Shooting with my 70-200 2.8 and I want to minimize "intimidating" my subjects with a long lens. The hood is huge, and for photojournalism it sometimes helps to take it off so the lens is "less huge" and less of a distraction. Though, It's not often, and I won't leave it off the whole time. It's hard to explain, you tend to get a feel of when folks might be feeling "whoa".
EDIT TO ADD: Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't use a lens hood when it might cast a shadow from using the pop-up flash, and I don't use that very often. (twice in 2009 that I can remember.)

The other situation I don't use the lens hood for is some macro shots.

To retiterate the reasons myphotoguy mentioned for using a lens hood:

1. Provides a safety bufer zone for the front lens element.
  2. Improves image contrast.
  3. Helps to control lens flare when pointing the camera near bright light sources.
Improving the contrast can also help the auto focus function in some situations.

There are few downsides to routinely using a lens hood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back