Lens hood

nikonusersince2007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the purpose of a lens hood?
What is the difference between a rubber lens hood and a plastic lens hood?
What is the difference between a full circle lens hood and a circular lens hood separated into 4 equal pieces (not a full circle/has 4 gaps within the circle)?

1. Make you look "pro"
2. Chicks dig big lens hoods
3. Chicks dig rubber more than plastic
4. I don't know you well enough to get in to that

i believe the term you are looking for is flower petal hood.

and i think the main purpose is to reduce lens flare angles

The petal hoods are for zoom lens and prevents the hood from creating vignettes at the corners.

1. Make you look "pro"

A lens hood is essential when shooting towards the sun with some lenses. It prevents or helps to prevent what is called sunflare in this situation. For example, my Nikkor 35-70 F 2.8D is very prone to horrendous sunflare, without my lens hood, I would be effed when shooting towards the suns direction. It basically helps to stop any unwanted "light spill" onto your sensor.

1. Make you look "pro"

A lens hood is essential when shooting towards the sun with some lenses. It prevents or helps to prevent what is called sunflare in this situation. For example, my Nikkor 35-70 F 2.8D is very prone to horrendous sunflare, without my lens hood, I would be effed when shooting towards the suns direction. It basically helps to stop any unwanted "light spill" onto your sensor.

I somehow like the flare that causes my picture to become un-contrasted though, cause' I could pulls the blacks more :D

Lens hood.

Primary use is to reduce glare, flares and increase contrast. Just like when sun is right above your head, so you decide to wear a baseball cap. Some people may want to use the lens hood for protection. (lens bump against hard surface)

Lens hoods are designed with the lens. So it is normally better to choose the one that is made for a particular lens (instead of a generic one).

As for regular round hood vs flower petal hood. In general, telephoto lenses usually use round hood because of the smaller angle of view and I believe it is easier to design. With wide angle lens, flower petal style often used because of the of the wider angle of view and camera usually capture a rectangler shape image from the image circle so that the shape of the petals on the left and right should be smaller to avoid image blocking.

Rubber hood vs plastic.

Good thing about rubber hood is they are usually collapsible. So you can just leave it on the lens. And push it back (collapse it) when done. But because of collapsible feature, it may not be a good lens protection. Plus it is kind of generic, so may not work too well with some lens. Especially wide or ultra wide angle lens.

I read a thread here months ago. When shoot subject through window/glass, rubber hood against glass can reduce reflection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back