lens hood

kalyankkumar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

what is the use of lens hood....there are different types of lens hoods available...i have 2 with me......what is the pros/cons of using lens hoods when shooting photos.....

avoid lens flare. I always use one, inside out side, all the time.

As mentioned, it helps avoid lens flare. It can also increase contrast, as well as provide additional protection to the lens element.

I see wedding photographers use hoods inside all the time but why? There is barely any light inside so I thought hood lets less light into the lens, plus not like there are bright enough sources from 40watt lamps to cause a lens flare..

And I thought using a lens hood with a flash mounted on the camera is a "no no"

As for "pros and cons" as a pro definitely better flare control, with a long enough hood (designed for your lens) you can shoot closer to the sun in the sky, without the light flaring your lens. In bright conditions having a hood increases your contrast and lets your camera take exposure reading more accurately.

As a con, it makes your lens longer. I personally have a camera bag that I can't put my 70-200 into when it has a lens hood on so when I am taking the camera in and out of my bag I always need to keep putting the hod off and on. It's just an inconvenience.

Last edited:
Yep.
Use of a lens hood provides:

Improved control of lens flare
More image contrast
A measure of front lens element impact protection.

Use a lens hood that is designed for the lens.

Last edited:
Stray light is stray light inside or out, and using one becomes second nature, on off it takes a few seconds.

A lens hood only causes shadow problems when a hot shoe mounted flash is used with a short focal length.

For weddings and other events, use of a flash bracket is preferred over a flash on the camera hot shoe.

Yep, about 5 seconds to store, or re-mount a lens hood on a lens.

As a con, it makes your lens longer. I personally have a camera bag that I can't put my 70-200 into when it has a lens hood on so when I am taking the camera in and out of my bag I always need to keep putting the hod off and on. It's just an inconvenience.
Can you not reverse the hood and install it 'backwards' on the lens for storage? Or is it the added diameter causing problems?

The pros have been mentioned. The only real con I can think of is that they aren't free.

Can you not reverse the hood and install it 'backwards' on the lens for storage? Or is it the added diameter causing problems?

The pros have been mentioned. The only real con I can think of is that they aren't free.

Or get a better bag.

Get a bag that fits your gear better. ThinkTank makes some great holsters. My 5DMKII (with grip) wearing my 70-200 with lens hood on fits just fine in my 50 V2.0.

Last edited:
I always use my lens hoods. Not only do they help to keep unwanted light out but they help protect your lens.
Im with you Buckster...Thinktank bags are great! They are all I use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back