Lens Hood

I can understand why you should use a hood in daylight.
But I have seen people using them in night time situations where they should be happy if any light came through their lenses in the first place. I don't get that... it looked pretty stupid to me. Could someone explain that for me?

Your question is already answered on the scond post of this thread. :D

There are some Leica point and shoot cameras. But the M8 isn't one of them. Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I had a couple lf M6's with 28,50 and 90mm lenses. The image quality had to be seen to be believed. Superb optics. Does it have a 35mm sensor or do have to go for the super wide angles?
Nah, slightly smaller Kodak sensor, at 1.33x. So my 28mm Elmarit is about a 35mm lens, which is perfect for "street photography." My 50mm Noctilux becomes a 75mm, which is a nice portrait length.

The lens and hood on the 28mm is the tinyest thing I've seen, it is SO clandestine.

well I just took the same picture twice, once with the paper hood on, once with it off, the sun was about 2 inches off of the frame and it made a HUGE difference. On was a pale tree surrounded by whiteness, and the other was a beautiful colorful tree showing pink blossoms and a blue sky. A hood helps a LOT and even my ghetto black poster board petal hood did a ton.

nice, you should upload pics of what it looks like with it on your camera.

Ok here ya go!. Be prepaired to laugh. In the pics the rubber band is that pale yellow color, but cause I was feeling ghetto, I dyed it red to look like the red band on an L series lens.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

And the pic I took with the hood on:
IMG_0206.jpg

Nah, slightly smaller Kodak sensor, at 1.33x. So my 28mm Elmarit is about a 35mm lens, which is perfect for "street photography." My 50mm Noctilux becomes a 75mm, which is a nice portrait length.

The lens and hood on the 28mm is the tinyest thing I've seen, it is SO clandestine.

Yes, the wonder of short focus wide angles. Since the designers don't have to worry about clearing a swinging mirror, they can snuggle the back of the lens right up to the sensor. They don't need to design them like projector lenses. That's why the Leica M wide angles are the best on the planet. Noctilux, huh? Super fast. Nice choice. Sounds like a great setup. I know you'll love it.

Noob, looks like it will shade the lens just fine. Maybe just replace the rubber band with a lady's garter for that true ghetto look.

Noob, looks like it will shade the lens just fine. Maybe just replace the rubber band with a lady's garter for that true ghetto look.

I figured penciling in the canon logo as well as the focal length of the lens with using a red rubber band (I have an L-Series hood!) would be ghetto enough.

My gosh thanks innocence! I love this cheap alternative. I think I'll try this out before I commit to buying a hood!

But it will protect the front if you bump it.

you can find one off B&H probably.

Most reactions

Back