Lens Hood

Does using a lens hood make it tougher to use filters that require adjusting, like circular polarizers?

Bayonet hoods do make using a pol filter less convenient. I set my filter with the hood off, and then put the hood on when I'm ready to shoot, but I'm rarely using a pol filter with action photography.

Screw on hoods go right on the filter, so you just rotate the whole hood.

Some bayonet hoods do have a slot where you can adjust the filter with your finger tips.

As Matt says, I use my hood almost all the time, except on certain occasions in-doors. When i use the Canon 24-70mm L the hood makes the lens HUGE - the lens is already big as it is. If you point that combo at anyone it is hard to stay inobtrusive, you sort of become a point of interest. Other than that I always have a hood on, for all the reasons already stated.

As Matt says, I use my hood almost all the time, except on certain occasions in-doors. When i use the Canon 24-70mm L the hood makes the lens HUGE - the lens is already big as it is. If you point that combo at anyone it is hard to stay inobtrusive, you sort of become a point of interest. Other than that I always have a hood on, for all the reasons already stated.
Yeah, that hood is about as big as the lens itself! And when it's out at 24mm, the front extends so much that it almost sticks out of the hood itself. Makes no sense to me why canon would do that. With a lens that big, it shouldn't have to extend that much.

Yeah, that hood is about as big as the lens itself! And when it's out at 24mm, the front extends so much that it almost sticks out of the hood itself. Makes no sense to me why canon would do that. With a lens that big, it shouldn't have to extend that much.

I'm not familiar with the lens or the hood but I am familiar with high end, fast WA to tele zooms. You need length in the hood to shade a tele and you need width to stay away from vignetting the corners when in wide angle mode. The result is a big hood.

Iron Flatline, I thought you either had or were about to get a Leica M8 for those times when you want you want to be unobtrusive.

I use them to make my lens look bigger. I need all the help I can get.

:)

Heh, I am in a weird mood today. Glad its friday. ;)

How's that for overpriced? Amazing. Here's a shot of my old 500 f4 Nikkor. The hood is the thing that looks like a trash can sitting next to it. Luckily for me it was included in the price.

nikkor500.jpg

there's a website out there that has the 2D designs for a lot of hoods, and you can print them off (on paper or cardboard) if you're a financially struggling student. =)

I can understand why you should use a hood in daylight.
But I have seen people using them in night time situations where they should be happy if any light came through their lenses in the first place. I don't get that... it looked pretty stupid to me. Could someone explain that for me?

Iron Flatline, I thought you either had or were about to get a Leica M8 for those times when you want you want to be unobtrusive.
I did, and I am extremely pleased I did. It's really changed the way I shoot people. Check my blog, the last 10 pics (or so) were done over the last two weeks with my new Leica.

A lot of people think the Leica is just a Point & Shoot camera.

A lot of people think the Leica is just a Point & Shoot camera.

There are some Leica point and shoot cameras. But the M8 isn't one of them. Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I had a couple lf M6's with 28,50 and 90mm lenses. The image quality had to be seen to be believed. Superb optics. Does it have a 35mm sensor or do have to go for the super wide angles?

Wow, I feel so ghetto but I just made 2 of those printable lens hoods out of black poster board. They actually look like they'll work (not for protection but for blocking light)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back