Lens identification

leaderofmen1000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. If someone can help me, I have a little problem.
I have a lens that I don't know anything about so if anyone can give me some details about this lens i would be grateful. Thanks :D

I have uploaded the photos on Photobucket

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/leaderofmen1000/

Done !

Note: for some reason, when i click on the link for photobucket it sends me to rapidshare :|

Last edited:
When I click on the link It wants me to sign up. Can you please use photobucket or flicker, then past the link with the

That is a 400mm f/5 telephoto lens for a Leica.

If you could, can you photograph the rear section of the lens with a ruler across the opening like this

What are you planning to do with it?

If you are looking to phence it and it has the right threading, I might be interested.

@Battou
I have uploaded the photos on photobucket (same link, copy paste it and it works).
If you can please define the word "phence" i would be grateful.

I don't have any plans with it, i want to sell it because i have no use of it. I really would like a price range to know it's value of course and to know if it's worth selling it or not.

@Battou
I have uploaded the photos on photobucket (same link, copy paste it and it works).
If you can please define the word "phence" i would be grateful.

I don't have any plans with it, i want to sell it because i have no use of it. I really would like a price range to know it's value of course and to know if it's worth selling it or not.

Well, the term phence is an informal word for sell. And yes I'd likely be interested in the lens. All I have on the M39 mount is a lone Leitz 50mm. I don't shoot my rangefinders all that often, but Given I do enjoy shooting wildlife another 400mm lens would be much fun and the range finder would be an interesting challenge.

What do you want for it, I've seen them go for around $200 with all their accesseries their give or take.

Last edited:
Well, the term phence is an informal word for sell. And yes I'd likely be interested in the lens. All I have on the M39 mount is a lone Leitz 50mm. I don't shoot my rangefinders all that often, but Given I do enjoy shooting wildlife another 400mm lens would be much fun and the range finder would be an interesting challenge.

What do you want for it, I've seen them go for around $200 with all their accesseries their give or take.

give me a mail with your yahoo messenger id and we'll talk there

I believe it is a 400mm Leica lens for use on their rangefinder system WITH the VISOFLEX system.

Good description of the Visoflex system
Visoflex I

I believe this is your lens:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...urces/RF-Nikkor/Leica_RF/Leica_400mmTELYT.htm

It is essentially Leica's attempt to bring the benefits of SLR to their rangefinder system. Believe it or not, some are using this system on even the M8. IMO, it turns a rangefinder into a very cumbersome SLR... I'd rather carry a rangefinder AND an SLR in that case.

There are some examples for sale here:

https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/leica-visoflex-lenses-telyt-5400-modell-c-1000_1005_100510.html

I also believe photo arsenal had one for sale... I think it was listed for almost 8 years.

Consider that the VERY VERY top top end of what you can ask for the lens. Even then, it could sit for years until someone comes along looking for a sale. Generally, items are not used but collected.... Leica collectors world is completely and utterly illogical. :lol:

FYI.... It has a long flange to film distance (meaning you can adapt it to other cameras.) It is an old lens and probably not up to par with current optics.

... IMO, it turns a rangefinder into a very cumbersome SLR... I'd rather carry a rangefinder AND an SLR in that case.

That is one of the big reasons why people have so much difficulty moving them right there I think. In my digging around I was able to turn up a few for sale, the only one I saw that went to completion and sold was for $259, all the rest where forgotten about listings, prices moderately to considerably higher and sitting.

Additionally, me being an SLR guy, I would much rather use my IIIf any way possible until I can afford a Leica R.

Most reactions

Back