Lens is a four letter word.

What bugs me more is the kids at school who say "mines" and not "mine"

ex: That soda is mines.

Or the kids who use "gots" and not "have"

ex: I gots a chocolate milk.

i just hate wen ppl feel the need 2 type like they r n a hurry so they dside that they shuld b lazy and make it hard 2 reed by using chtspeak 2 save them sum time personally typing like that iz harder 4 me 2 do and takes more brain power because i cant get away with it anywhere els so why encourage having 2 learn 2 write or reed 2 difrent wayz

i just hate wen ppl feel the need 2 type like they r n a hurry so they dside that they shuld b lazy and make it hard 2 reed by using chtspeak 2 save them sum time personally typing like that iz harder 4 me 2 do and takes more brain power because i cant get away with it anywhere els so why encourage having 2 learn 2 write or reed 2 difrent wayz

Good one! (Or not ...)
Definitely (<-hinting at my personal spelling pet peeve ;))

Bearing in mind that this is a World wide forum, I'm sure there are people on here that type in a second language. So I can live with the odd spelling mistake.

That is true, and that sort of tolerance towards non-native speakers is the only reason why I can survive on this forum :)

However - the funny thing is - "lense" is mainly found in contributions from native speakers is my impression. I monitored this quite a while, since "lense" is very unusual for me. And the lense/lens discussion comes up every few months anyway ;)

Good one! (Or not ...)
Definitely (<-hinting at my personal spelling pet peeve ;))
Ha yeah, and definitely is actually very hard for me to pick up. I speak english as a primary language and I still get messed up on that one. Also, you'll never see me actually using chat speak in my posts other than "OMG," "WTF," and "lol." I mean, I even take the time to type in BBC coding for italicizing, bolding, underlining, or color changing. None of that user friendly microsoft word-like interface for me.

but did you konw taht if you keep the frsit and lsat ltertes in a wrod the smae, the hmaun biran can slitl raed it spirznrilugy eislay dpetise the way the mldide ltertes are arargned? Tihs is bueasce the bairn deos not autalcly raed the wolhe wrod but rhaetr sancs oevr the lnies.

I have always had a hard time with the written word, which is why I became a photographer. As long as I can get the jist of the post then that is close enough for me. We are just trying to have fun here.

Love & Bass

It's actually Lensé. :p

objective comes with 9 letters ... sorry, thinking German :p

Sabbath, I have always enjoyed your sense (sens?) of humor. :D Especially this post. It was obviously meant with good, fun intentions rather than lashing out against those who spell lens.......different......than you and I.

:thumbup::thumbup:

It is no more complicated than the words "boat, door, moon, food, this, that" and "stop".

It is a bit harder than words like "cat" and "dog" because there is one extra letter. Having said that, it still seems not nearly as bad as words like "camera, strap, strobe" and "flash" since they have more letters in them.

Dictionary said:
phlo·em &#8211;noun the part of a vascular bundle consisting of sieve tubes, companion cells, parenchyma, and fibers and forming the food-conducting tissue of a plant.

Since Phloem is a 6 letter word, does that make it as hard to spell as Apples?

My post was meant simply as a chuckle, and I was rather surprised that I got flamed in a PM from a user on this board.

Here is what the user wrote me in the PM (presented exactly as I received it, with the exception of the opening and closing quotes added for clarity):

"they both work and they both are words.
lense is a variant of lens.
they used to spell it like that in the olde days when they used to spell things with extra letters.
like "olde" and "towne"
it is a word, and theres no problem with using lense.
i hope you stop trying to act like a smartass because you dont sound smart at all."

Out of curiosity, I searched our forum for the word "towne" and found exactly no matches (after this post there will now be at least one). The word "olde" and had 32 matches in the history of the forum. I then searched for the word lense and found that it hit the 200 post limit for the search on April 30 of this year... so basically 200 posts in the last 3 months.

While I won't go so far as to correct the flamers grammar or punctuation (which might be rude... heaven knows, I wouldn't want to be rude) I do think it is interesting that somebody thought I was a big enough jerk to actually send me a flaming PM.

Personally, I think disagreements should be aired in public, so I posted it here (I am withholding the name of the person who PM'ed me, however... I may be a jerk but I am not an ass).

In the interests of fairness, I will share my reply (as best as I can recall, I didn't actually save it apparently):

"Thank you for your kind message. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it."

A sense of humor is something that is seriously lacking in this day and age. Why do we have to all get offended at the simplest little things? Are we that stressed and unhappy with out lives that we have to lash out at others for small things?

I will get down off of my Psychologist soapbox now. ;-)

:soapbox: LOL! I have always wanted to use that icon!

Most reactions

Back