Lens is a four letter word.

I can care less if people spell something wrong. We are all humans, and every human makes mistakes.
The problem is that this is an internet forum and all we really have for communication is what we type. Poor spelling equates to poor communication.

Besides, spell checking is extremely easy. So much so, that I'm now a terrible speller...and rely on them to correct my spelling. :er:

Forget "Lense". What about this apostrophe epidemic that is sweeping the globe? It really confuse's me why everyones using apostrophe's at the end of all of the wrong word's. Its sure to boggle mind's for year's to come!

(Notice how I left them out of the words that needed them, ha!)

EDIT: just to clarify for all those who don't understand; You don't need an apostrophe for words that are plural, Ok??!

Forget "Lense". What about this apostrophe epidemic that is sweeping the globe? It really confuse's me why everyones using apostrophe's at the end of all of the wrong word's. Its sure to boggle mind's for year's to come!

(Notice how I left them out of the words that needed them, ha!)

EDIT: just to clarify for all those who don't understand; You don't need an apostrophe for words that are plural, Ok??!

I fully agree with you about the improper use of apostrophes. It seems so weird when people put apostrophes on words that (to me) obviously shouldn't have them. It seems to especially happen with Your and You're.

Also, along the same lines, how about the whole "to, too, and two" or "there, their and they're" usage? Those are messed up all the time!

now come on the absolute worst is someone who cant bother with any capitalization or punctuation at all on top of that they drag their thoughts on and on through a 20 line long paragraph then they sit for 10 minutes and wonder why no one answers their question or responds to what they wrote i cant even figure out how they can type such long paragraphs of thoughts without a capitalization or punctuation just trying to type this is killing me i keep having to delete my punctuation and change my capitalization just to make this point its really driving me crazy to type this all and i cant believe im able to do it i think ive had to backspace with every apostrophe and every pronoun i because it is nearly impossible to type like this have you ever tried typing like this try it i bet you cant type a paragraph this long purposely leaving out any punctuation on purpose without needing to backspace about 40 times now i just tried to reread what i wrote here and i cant even read it even though i typed it up myself

now come on the absolute worst is someone who cant bother with any capitalization or punctuation at all on top of that they drag their thoughts on and on through a 20 line long paragraph then they sit for 10 minutes and wonder why no one answers their question or responds to what they wrote i cant even figure out how they can type such long paragraphs of thoughts without a capitalization or punctuation just trying to type this is killing me i keep having to delete my punctuation and change my capitalization just to make this point its really driving me crazy to type this all and i cant believe im able to do it i think ive had to backspace with every apostrophe and every pronoun i because it is nearly impossible to type like this have you ever tried typing like this try it i bet you cant type a paragraph this long purposely leaving out any punctuation on purpose without needing to backspace about 40 times now i just tried to reread what i wrote here and i cant even read it even though i typed it up myself

:lol::thumbup:

:lol: I completely agree, but the incorrect apostrophe's make me crazy! I work in a technical writing environment and this is so common!

:lol: I completely agree, but the incorrect apostrophe's make me crazy! I work in a technical writing environment and this is so common!

Have you also noticed a tendency to put periods and commas outside of quotes? Example is in post 95 of this thread:

Forget "Lense".

I also wonder why "lense" was incorrectly capitalized.

Have you also noticed a tendency to put periods and commas outside of quotes?

Doesn't that depend on the context? Sometimes the full stop (period) or comma goes inside, sometimes outside, as far as I know. Being a foreigner, and not being naturally good at grammar, spelling or any other related subject, I often refer to the Concise Oxford (which does not contain the word lense), the US Govt Printing Office style manual and the NIST guide to the use of units.

Best,
Helen

Doesn't that depend on the context? Sometimes the full stop (period) or comma goes inside, sometimes outside, as far as I know. Being a foreigner, and not being naturally good at grammar, spelling or any other related subject, I often refer to the Concise Oxford (which does not contain the word lense), the US Govt Printing Office style manual and the NIST guide to the use of units.

Best,
Helen

Apparently, there is a difference among countries:
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/GRAMMAR/marks/quotation.htm

Thanks for that correction. The USGPO Style Manual says the same*. I'll try to remember the USA's unusual rule for future use with US-destined text, and use the rest of the English-speaking world's practice for international English.

*8.141. The comma and the final period will be placed inside
the quotation marks. Other punctuation marks should be placed
inside the quotation marks only if they are a part of the
matter quoted.

Best,
Helen

Edit. Hold on, you caught me off guard and had me questioning my poor memory of the entire contents of the Style Manual.That rule is for quotations. Here's an example from the Style Manual of quotation marks being used to identify a specific word:

"8.142. In congressional and certain other classes of work
showing amendments, and in courtwork with quoted language,
punctuation marks are printed after the quotation marks when
not a part of the quoted matter.

[Example]

Insert the words "growth'', "production'', and
"manufacture''.

That's logical, I think.

Thanks for that correction. The USGPO Style Manual says the same*. I'll try to remember the USA's unusual rule for future use with US-destined text, and use the rest of the English-speaking world's practice for international English.

*8.141. The comma and the final period will be placed inside
the quotation marks. Other punctuation marks should be placed
inside the quotation marks only if they are a part of the
matter quoted.

Best,
Helen

Edit. Hold on, you caught me off guard and had me questioning my poor memory of the entire contents of the Style Manual.That rule is for quotations. Here's an example from the Style Manual of quotation marks being used to identify a specific word:

"8.142. In congressional and certain other classes of work
showing amendments, and in courtwork with quoted language,
punctuation marks are printed after the quotation marks when
not a part of the quoted matter.

[Example]

Insert the words "growth'', "production'', and
"manufacture''.

That's logical, I think.

Should we trust congress?

Are there any guidelines regarding when to put them inside and when to put them outside? Also, I had always believed that question marks and exclamation marks should be treated the same as periods. Is that correct?

Have you also noticed a tendency to put periods and commas outside of quotes? Example is in post 95 of this thread:

Forget "Lense".

I also wonder why "lense" was incorrectly capitalized.

If one writes computer code, then one gets the habit of ".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back