Lens Mount

droyz2000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was out today shooting with my 70-200 VR lens on my D200 when I noticed a little bit of play in the lens. It can still slide in the mount, only a mm though. It is not very much at all. The VR still works and so does auto focus. In fact everything seems to work 100% perfect. I just did not know if I should be worried or return the lens because of that play? None of my other lenses are able to do it only my 70-200. Thanks for your help.

wait. Do you mean it slides forward backwards/it wobbles left,right, up, down/or that it twists?

Sometimes there is some SLIGHT play in the mount, but shouldn't be TOO much.

Are all of your other lenses shorter and lighter? Because obviously there's a lot more torque put on your mount with a long lens...just a thought.

it has about a 1mm play in rotation and not any other direction, yes my other lenses are the kit lens and 50mm.

I just checked right now, and if I try I can move my 50 SLIGHTLY. It's probably only noticeable because of the size of the lens. As long as it feels solid when you're not moving it that should be fine.

I'm about to receive a Canon 70-200 4.0L, so if I remember, I will come back to this thread and share my results with you to make sure you find your answer.

My canon 70-200 L glass has the some rotation, Bob (Jack Lumber) and I talked about this at the Alberta meet-up, his 100-400 L does the same thing, we figured it could be designed in as relief

That makes sense and that is kind of what i thought but I figured i would ask around seeing as I do not have any college friends that have lenses of this size. This place is my greatest resource.

Don’t believe everything you read on the net :lmao:, now that I think about it, I know another photography, a real pro sport shooter that had a 400 or 500 come a part at the mount

Most reactions

New Topics

Back