Lens or filter? [regarding creative lens distortion]

Ben Diyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm somewhat new to photography as a serious hobby. I've been taking pictures for roughly a year.. and I'd like to get a bit more creative.

I'm aware that distortion is usually unwanted but I frequent parties and whatnot and feel that lens effects would be great for capturing the feeling.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._416489412961_504522961_4448921_7223566_n.jpg

and

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._404678812961_504522961_4158166_4076431_n.jpg

are examples

how would i get this effect on a budget? say 200 dollar max and used is more than alright.

i'm not opposed to filters if they'll get it done!

thanks guys.

i used the search before hand but didn't see anything.

I have 18-55mm lens and a 50mm prime both with 52mm thread? is that what it's called?

52mm diameter, front element, etc, call it what you like we all know what you mean :)

What you're after is either a fisheye lens, or a fisheye adapter. Let price be your guide. Fisheyes are definitely not for everyone.

52mm diameter, front element, etc, call it what you like we all know what you mean :)

What you're after is either a fisheye lens, or a fisheye adapter. Let price be your guide. Fisheyes are definitely not for everyone.

True, but I'm curious as to how he got a full frame barrel distortion shot. I like how fisheye looks but.. the circular crop always bothers me. Yes, i've got photoshop to fix it but I'd rather just take pictures and not have to edit them

Hi Ben, check out this ... Lensbaby SLR Camera Lenses

Which lens? I've seen these before but wasn't sure as to exactly what I was looking at.

thanks guys.

The second was made with a fisheye lens, the first with an extreme wide angle or fisheye. Odds are your $200 budget is woefully inadequate for these sorts of options.

The second was made with a fisheye lens, the first with an extreme wide angle or fisheye. Odds are your $200 budget is woefully inadequate for these sorts of options.

I guess, I just.. don't have 1800$ for a lens : )

I guess, I just.. don't have 1800$ for a lens : )

Well you're not alone.

What about a super wide angle converter? I was reading and apparently they seem to give off more barrel distortion than a lens.

I see a bunch of brandless converters on eBay but I really am not up for trusting them. What's everyone's opinion?

Well you're not alone.

What about a super wide angle converter? I was reading and apparently they seem to give off more barrel distortion than a lens.

I see a bunch of brandless converters on eBay but I really am not up for trusting them. What's everyone's opinion?

As always, the question is: Why?

Why not trust eBay brandless converters?

Well, a lot of ebay items are generally terrible quality- and I'm not educated in lenses or filters so I'm not sure what exactly makes a lens/etc bad as I could judge say.. what makes a guitar bad.

Well, a lot of ebay items are generally terrible quality- and I'm not educated in lenses or filters so I'm not sure what exactly makes a lens/etc bad as I could judge say.. what makes a guitar bad.

No, I meant 'Why' as in why do this at all? If you don't have the dough to spring for a nice superwide or fisheye lens, why bother?

No, I meant 'Why' as in why do this at all? If you don't have the dough to spring for a nice superwide or fisheye lens, why bother?

It's a hobby, I like taking photos but can't warrant spending insane amounts of cash on a hobby.

but I'd still like to be able to take satisfying pictures : )

True, but I'm curious as to how he got a full frame barrel distortion shot. I like how fisheye looks but.. the circular crop always bothers me.

I know it's beside the point since you can't justify the expense for a dedicated lens, but this effect is exactly what you'd get by mounting a fisheye designed for standard 35mm full frame cameras on a body with an APS sized sensor.

It's a hobby, I like taking photos but can't warrant spending insane amounts of cash on a hobby.

Lots of people spend money on hobbies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back