Lens Prices, sadface.

DisasterDan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there guys, I was just looking at lenses for the sake of it and noticed that the few lenses i was looking at have increased in price $100-175. Im just wondering what the cause of this was (Japan earthquake?) and also when i should expect the price of glass to go down. I was just shocked to see the price increased so much! Thanks for the help.

where do you see this increase?

The value of the Yen relative to the Dollar has a lot to do with it. The value of the Yen has definately been affected by the earthquake though.

I know how you feel - but 10 times as bad:
300mm f2.8 IS L price when I started photography 3 years ago: £2654.99

Current price of the lens: £3675.00

Price of the MII version £5598.00
(important to note as the original is now out of production)

So yeah recession and strong yen weaker £ and stuffs :(

Also the disaster in Japan and the massive stock shortfall in the more current times won't help prices (shops will up the cost as supply dwindles since they have to go a period without any stock to sell for lack of supply - whilst still incurring their trading costs)

Just an overall sadface! Im Only going to be able to snag one of the lenses now. The Sigma is going to have to take the cake.

I know how you feel - but 10 times as bad:
300mm f2.8 IS L price when I started photography 3 years ago: £2654.99

Current price of the lens: £3675.00

Price of the MII version £5598.00
(important to note as the original is now out of production)

So yeah recession and strong yen weaker £ and stuffs :(

Also the disaster in Japan and the massive stock shortfall in the more current times won't help prices (shops will up the cost as supply dwindles since they have to go a period without any stock to sell for lack of supply - whilst still incurring their trading costs)

Gooood Lord man...just buy a used 300/2.8 from an actual walk-in store,or a private party seller, where the prices are cheaper than they are from the mega-retailers. Get one and be done with it. I bought mine for $2,795, used, in cash, when they were typically selling for $3795-$3995 on the "web" market, used. There is "web" pricing, the highest the market will bear, and there is "real-world" pricing, which is what a newspaper,sports,or nature photographer will actually let his lens go for. Now that Canon has updated their 300 to a new level, the old ones immediately are worth less and there are many sellers anxious to unload their older lens and to use the money toward the latest,greatest Canon glass.

Worth less? Not in my experience - used L lenses go up in value, esp once the base stock of that lens is no longer on the market. Heck I sold my 70-200mm f2.8 IS L original for pretty much the same price as I bought it and I wasn't swinging a hard deal either. If anything I expect the 300mm price to jump up second hand once the shops are empty from stock.

Plus I kinda want the M2 -- its lighter you know!! and and and and faster AF with TCs ;)

Most reactions

Back