Lens problem.

yashica4life

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jtphoto.vze.com
I got this new Tokina 28-200 lens for my Maxxum. Its pretty nice, but it is the push pull style, and when you point the camera down the weight of the lens pulls it down and so it zooms in, and vice versa when you point it up. Is there anyway to stop this from happening? It probably wont be that bad, and I got a really good deal on it so I'm not too upset about it, but when I use my off camera flash it will definately be a pain in the ass.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help you with fixing the problem. But I can tell you that what you are experiencing is called zoom slip. Try searching on google? :?

Was this a used lens when you bought it? usually new lenses that are puch pull or just the oposite you have to make an effort to zoom them in and out. If it was used then that is normal they just get looser and looser. A repair shop could fix that. Not sure what that involves but it can be fixxed.

Unimaxium said:
One word: duct tape. ;)
Or masking tape or scotch tape would probably work too.

hahahaha thats kinda what I was thinking

But I searched for zoom slip on google and I found that it's also called zoom creep, so I searched that and found this forum where someone suggested using that plastic (dymo) labeling tape. Im gunna go give it a try, and if it works it'll definately be prettier than duct tape :wink:

Ya I tried a bubber band, but it was too thick, so I tried electrical tape, but it wasn't slippery enough, so I used that labeling tape and it worked perfectly. Now I have blue strips of labeling tape all over my lens barrel though...........but whatever :D

Leave it alone and just beaware you have to zoom everytime you look through the lens. You're lucky to have an easy slider, it makes zooming smoother.

Most reactions

Back