Lens setup for portraits

Sorry Paige...I prefer a lens that's a bit less clinical...I do not like this new-era uber sharpness...then again, I like the Lensbaby original more than the Lensbaby 2.0...I think Sigma and Nikon are both going overboard on making lenses that score super-high on resolution tests...I want a 35mm lens like the old 1970's and 1980's Nikkors I've been using since 1982...I want a 35mm lens with softer roll-off...less "bite".

In Nikon I call this the new Nikkor look.

Sorry Paige...I prefer a lens that's a bit less clinical...I do not like this new-era uber sharpness...then again, I like the Lensbaby original more than the Lensbaby 2.0...I think Sigma and Nikon are both going overboard on making lenses that score super-high on resolution tests...I want a 35mm lens like the old 1970's and 1980's Nikkors I've been using since 1982...I want a 35mm lens with softer roll-off...less "bite".

In Nikon I call this the new Nikkor look.
Well said...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I hope that did not sound harsh...I like Paige, we're FB friends, and she's a very talented family, birth, and wedding shooter...I like and respect her and her photographic style and vision...and I always have ,since the first time I saw her posts here on TPF, I knew she had what it takes...I am older than her by far (2.point something decades closer to the end times...)...I have older middle-aged guy tastes...she would probably hate some of the music I listen to...plus, she lives in the hippest city in the USA...Austin, Texas, a city whose motto, "Keep Austin weird!" was, co-opted, appropriated, borrowed, okay...it was STOLEN...by my nearest city...

I also like supremely hot horseradish from southern Oregon, The Odd Couple, stinky cheeses, and rare hamburgers...not everybody thinks the same things are good or great...I also like Ducks football, and looooathe Ohio State and Alabama football....

Anyway the 35 art can produce some beautiful soft portraits if you shoot it wide-ish open. And I rarely use it for client work because I have the 24-70. But that lens definitely has its place and gets a lot of use.

I cant comment as to the other lenses but my Tamron 90mm Prime does a great job with portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back