Lens specification question

scanneraddict21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own a Canon Powershot S2 camera. On the cameras lens, it specifies a zoom of 6.0-72.0mm. According to web sites this is a "36-432mm equivalent". I have been looking at the Nikkor 18-135mm lens and according to web sites, this is "equivalent to 27-202.5mm lens in the 35mm format". Comparing the two cameras, the Canon in fact had more zoom than the Nikkor lens.

I guess I am really confused as to what these equivalents mean and why would the Canon have more zoom? Hopefully you guys and girls can explain all this to me.

Welcome to the forum.

So the focal range of your camera is 6.0 to 72mm...and as you found out, that is equivalent to 36-432mm. Camera companies always like to compare things back to 35mm film format. This is an equivalent for your camera & lens in combination.

So looking at the Nikkor 18-135 lens...it's meant to be used on Nikon Digital SLR cameras, which have a equivalency factor of 1.5. So that makes that lens on a a Nikon DSLR, equivalent to 27-202mm, in the the 35mm format. Again, they are comparing everything back to 35mm film format because that has been the standard for so long.

The lens on you camera has a greater magnification, so if that's what you meant by more zoom, then yes. Remember though, you are comparing your camera with built-in lens to a lens that is interchangeable onto DSLR cameras.

Ah ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation and the quick response. Time to look around the forum and see what else I can get into heh. Take care.

Most reactions

Back