Lens stacking for Macro Photography (Canon)

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by Katie T, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Katie T

Katie T TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody could help - I'm trying to find a way to attach my Canon 100mm 2.8 USM lens to my Canon 18-55mm (the one that came with the camera) to bolster my Macro set-up.

I'm working on a Canon EOS 600D with the 100mm 2.8l on its own, with a Hahnel Modus 360RT Flashgun. I'm particularly interested in photographing the Iris, and believe stacking lenses could help with my lack of sharpness and depth - these are my two sticking points at present.

I'm reading that maybe stacking lenses could increase my magnification and improve my sharpness - and I'm wondering if it is possible to attach my (reversed) 18-55mm lens to my 100mm? And if it is possible, how do I do it? Coupling rings? Step Up rings? Reverse rings?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Or, if I'm barking up the wrong tree and there is another/better way to improve my set-up, I'd be very grateful to hear it.

I'm new to the world of Photography, so please, feel free to state the obvious!

Thank you in advance,

Katie

2. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Never tried lens stacking. I use extension tubes but then you would be v close to the eye.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Fotodiox sells the needed lens reversing rings for a fairly good price. This is one of the things that you must actually test out to get a certain idea about how it works. it is tricky to go based upon filter size and thinking that you will not have full image coverage because oftentimes the front objective is substantially smaller than the filter size might lead you to believe..

There are quite a few potential ways to form a good " relay ". I think you might want to do additional research before committing much money to this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Katie, what you are looking for is called a lens reversing ring and you need to get one that has the filter sizes needed. For the short lens which will be reversed in front of your long lens, you actually would be perfectly fine using an old relatively inexpensive manual focus lens which has an on-lens aperture ring, such as an old 24 or 28 mm manual focus lens from Canon,Minolta, Nikon,Pentax, or some other Legacy brand.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Control of lens f stops is somewhat difficult on many newer brands in their autofocus lenses. On virtually all Legacy 35 mm lenses, each lens has a mechanical aperture control ring.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Regarding your quote lack of depth, I assume you mean the extremely shallow depth of depth-of-field which exists in macro range photography. To get more depth of field there is a relatively new technique called focus stacking in which multiple frames each made at a slightly different points of focus are combined by the computer and software into one image which has much deeper depth of field than is otherwise possible. Not too long ago a TPF member here posted some extraordinarily good insect macros, which were made with 100-shot Focus stacks.