What's new

Lens suggestion for wedding photography

dynamic03

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Philly
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need help in buying my next lens for wedding photography. I am selling my 24-70mm, I was happy with the results I got from it but I think I can do better with a prime lens. So I was thinking about about the 85mm (the big monster). I currently have 135mm for portrait shots and need another one for "walking around" shots. Please advice me in the right direction, thank you.
 
85 seems a little long to me.

i'm not a fan of primes though..
 
What camera (sensor size) are you shooting with?

I've heard that the 85mm F1.2 L doesn't focus fast at all, which may be a detriment for some styles of wedding photography...especially if plan on using it wide open for the DOF.

Of the prime (Canon) shooters that I know, the 24mm F1.4 L and the 35mm F1.4 L are two that are very beloved.

I know several who love the Sigma 30mm F1.4 for crop sensors.
 
What camera (sensor size) are you shooting with?

I've heard that the 85mm F1.2 L doesn't focus fast at all, which may be a detriment for some styles of wedding photography...especially if plan on using it wide open for the DOF.

Of the prime (Canon) shooters that I know, the 24mm F1.4 L and the 35mm F1.4 L are two that are very beloved.

I know several who love the Sigma 30mm F1.4 for crop sensors.

I'm shooting with the 5D Mark II, I'm afraid the 85mm might not be wide enough for the shots I need..perhaps 24mm is the way to go.
 
One,single lens, a 24mm prime, for wedding candids??? Uh, sorry, but no. No way. A 24mm on FF would make for the absolutely most-boring, dull,and tedious wedding candids possible.
 
How about a 50mm? Back before zoom lenses were as good as they are now, 50mm (on this size/format) was the norm.

Canon has three, the F1.8m the F1.4 and the F1.2 L (not counting the Macro). I've head from one or two who use & like the 1.2 L, but I've also heard from a couple who tried it and didn't like it. The F1.4 is also very affordable for a lens of such good quality.

There is also the new Sigma 50mm F1.4. It supposedly has great image quality and isn't too expensive, but the thing is huge, if that matters.
 
How about a 50mm? Back before zoom lenses were as good as they are now, 50mm (on this size/format) was the norm.

Canon has three, the F1.8m the F1.4 and the F1.2 L (not counting the Macro). I've head from one or two who use & like the 1.2 L, but I've also heard from a couple who tried it and didn't like it. The F1.4 is also very affordable for a lens of such good quality.

There is also the new Sigma 50mm F1.4. It supposedly has great image quality and isn't too expensive, but the thing is huge, if that matters.

I have the 50mm 1.8 but was thinking of also picking up the 1.4. How about the 16-35mm?
 
The 16-35mm F2.8 L II, is indeed a great lens...but I'm not sure that it's a replacement for your 24-70mm. And I thought you were looking for a prime :scratch:

Going back to your 24-70mm....what about it weren't you satisfied with? Most people sing it's praises, but I do know a photographer or two who have had a hard time finding one that met their high standards. One guy even said that he's tried 6 different ones before finding one that focuses at accurately as he wanted.

Maybe you just have a bad (less than perfect) copy, some such issue.
 
You wont have 1 prime that does everything.

For me, wedding candids mean picking people off at a distance as if I am in the middle of the action, its harder to find those moments. So candids are often done in the 50+ range (on a crop sensor). I use either a 28-75 at the long end or a 70-200 at the shorter end (or long) for the candids.

When I have more time to work on an image, I'm in the 24-50 range, again on a crop sensor.
I'll be in the 16-22 range for some specifics, and alot of the reception dancing shots.
 
The 16-35mm F2.8 L II, is indeed a great lens...but I'm not sure that it's a replacement for your 24-70mm. And I thought you were looking for a prime :scratch:

Going back to your 24-70mm....what about it weren't you satisfied with? Most people sing it's praises, but I do know a photographer or two who have had a hard time finding one that met their high standards. One guy even said that he's tried 6 different ones before finding one that focuses at accurately as he wanted.

Maybe you just have a bad (less than perfect) copy, some such issue.

After getting everyone's feedback, I decided to keep the 24-70mm..this seems like the ideal fit for wedding photography. I will still look into acquiring the 50mm 1.2 and other primes that I would love to have one day..thanks for your help.
 
Okay, I'm glad to read that you decided to keep the 24-70, I was just getting ready to write a response with a lot of ? and ! in it-that lens on a full frame body is like the holy grail of wedding photographers-I have the 5D MkII as well, and I don't get my primes out much during a wedding.

That isn't to say that having some good quick primes handy is a bad thing, though-I still use my cheapo 50 f1.8 sometimes, and I love my 85mm f1.8, and my 100mm f2.8 macro, but I think as far as image quality, the 24-70 is very close to any of the primes Canon makes.
 
If you have the cash, the 50 1.2 is really nice. IF not, look at the 50 1.4...a great prime for lower light
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom