Lens suggestions please

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I have a Nikon D300 with a 35mm and a 16-85mm (and a 70-300mm, but this post isn't about that lens today). I find I mostly use the 16-85mm because of its focal length, but would like to find a similar one with better DoF (bokeh) and better sharpness. I'd consider an FX lens, as I expect to upgrade my D300 to either a D750 or D810 in the next six months.

I mostly use the camera for taking pictures of my 3yo and general action shots. The beach, sidewalk sales, friends, etc. I also like to do amateur food photographer with food that I cook.

I find most of my pictures are in the 35mm range, but the 35mm lens with the 1.5 magnification means I'm getting up too close to the subject.

When using the 16-85mm, after all these years, I'm still not completely certain where that sweet-spot is to get the best blurred background, and I can never move far enough away from the subject to create that DoF necessary.

I'm thinking some better quality glass in this range would solve these problems. I'd love to hear any criticism in my thinking, as well as recommendations for other lenses, Nikon or otherwise, with a description as to why you think they would work here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Answer is simple, one of these 2 lenses

1.Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G
2.Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC

You have a lens with a very long zoom range. Thats why its pretty dark (f3.5-5.6) and theres not much there in respect to Bokeh.

If you want more and better Bokeh, prime lenses are the first choice, second are bright zooms.

The most popular choice for a portrait prime lens on APS-C / half frame / Nikon DX is the AF-S 50mm f1.8. Its cheap and pretty good. When you switch to small format / full frame / Nikon FX however it will turn into a normal lens and you'll need something like the AF-S 85mm f1.8.

The most important bright zooms have already been mentioned.

You have a lens with a very long zoom range. Thats why its pretty dark (f3.5-5.6) and theres not much there in respect to Bokeh.

If you want more and better Bokeh, prime lenses are the first choice, second are bright zooms.

The most popular choice for a portrait prime lens on APS-C / half frame / Nikon DX is the AF-S 50mm f1.8. Its cheap and pretty good. When you switch to small format / full frame / Nikon FX however it will turn into a normal lens and you'll need something like the AF-S 85mm f1.8.

I have the 35mm prime. It seems I'm already very close to the subject when taking a picture. Doesn't the 50mm require me to be even closer? With my crop-sensor, isn't the 35mm a better choice?

The most important bright zooms have already been mentioned.

I definitely like the 24-70mm option. I'm surprised it has no VR, however. Why do you think they didn't include that? Is it most often used on a tripod?

I'm also surprised it's an old lens. It was first offered on Amazon more than 13yrs ago. Is it really that old?

Also, any ideas on the best place to buy? I see several places on ebay selling it in the thirteen hundred dollar range, compared to the eighteen hundred on amazon/b&h.

Thanks!

The Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G has no VR, you dont really need it.
Dont get me wrong its nice but just not a must on this focal range.
I learned to use it on 1/25 and even slower.
If you really need a VR then consider getting the Tamron 24-70mm VC.
Tamron VC is actually more effective then Nikon's VR.

Consider the older Nikon AF-S 28-70mm f2.8D also. You'll save a ton.
It's not typically "wide enough" on DX, but if/when you move to FX, you'll be fine.
For many folks, VR isn't needed with 2.8 zooms. I don't need it. Never been an issue.

So I see there is a 17-55mm f2.8 for DX cameras. How does this compare to the 28-70mm with my D300?

In other words, what can I do with a 17mm focal length on DX that I wouldn't be able to do with the 28*1.5mm (effectively 42mm, right?) focal length if I were to use the FX lens on my DX?

I'm finding my 35mm (effectively 50mm, right?) prime on my DX is just too wide. It's necessary to get entirely too close to the subject to fill the frame with only the portion of the picture I'm interested in.

What is the "sweet spot" for the 28-70mm lens, where the background has the best blurred effect?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back