Lens Suggestions

zbo2408

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have had my XSi with the 18-55 & 55-250 kit lenses for just over 2 years now. I have been wanting new lenses for a while but haven't been able to pull the trigger. And deciding what to get has been hard as well! From wide angle to a good prime to a huge telescope ... but I think out of all the lenses I want ... a macro is what I should get.
Out of the Canon Macro's I think the Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM is the best choice for my budget / experience level ...

I haven't even looked at other brands of lenses ... for the price is this the best macro I could get or is there a recommendation on another brand?

Would appreciate any and all input on the subject, thanks!

The Canon 100 (non-L) macro is a great lens. The only question is whether the L version would worth the extra $; I've read that it is only very slightly better optically, so the difference mainly comes down to better weather sealing and the IS. If IS is important to you for non-close-up shots (anything close should be done with a tripod anyway), then it's worth considering.

The other possibility would be to get the 50/1.8 and a couple of extension tubes, which would give you macro capability, cost less total $, and give you the use of the 50 without tubes as a great walk-around lens with plenty of speed.

The Canon 100mm F/2.8 USM macro is a very nice lens, the L series has IS but IS is less effective when shooting at 1:1. So is the IS worth $400-500 dollars more to you. Some people use the tamron 90mm and the sigma 150mm macro lens and love them. Check out the macro section. I own the Canon 100mm and love it, though sometimes I wish it was in the 150-180mm range.

EDIT: it also makes a great portrait lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back