lens suggestions?

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Need some lens help please.

I am going to Henrys oulet tomorrow and still not sure what it is I want. I currently have a Nikon D80 and although I want to update that soon, my main concern is my glass.

Right now I have a 40mm, 50mm, 18-55 and a very old 300 mm without vr. I know I want a new 300mm with vibration reduction.

I know nothing about sigma or tamron ANy suggestion in the $400 range ?

Also looking for a really great wide angle and portrait?

Can anyone offer suggestios? Thank you

Last edited:
The Tamron 70-300 VC is always 450 with a $100 rebate. Nice lens for the price with a 6 year warranty. Of course the Nikon 70-300 can always be found used for around $300. I had the Tamron 70-300 VC a long time ago and thought it was pretty good for the price. Of course if you are in a camera store you can try it for yourself :)

Edit: Noticed you are in Canada so pricing/rebates/warranty may be different...

The tamron 70-300 VC is better at 300mm but might have more product variation.

The nikon 70-300 vr is better at 70mm but isn't as good at 300mm. The VC on the tamron is better than the vr on the Nikon, but this isn't a huge deal since the Nikon vr is very good.

The nikon is extremely good as a portrait lens. I have shot it between 70 and 90mm for portraits and it's great. The bokeh on it is nice too, though the tamron should have similar bokeh. Both lenses have essentially the same aperture range.

They don't sell new there, only used but I've had great experience with Henrys and I can get the extra warranty with it. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!

Nikon 70-300mm VR is an excellent glass for the money, I love mine, bought it used for under 300$.

If it was me I would get first a Nikon D5200 over the D80 you have and then more glass but thats me :)

I'm a happy girl. Got the tamron 18-270, battery grip and boyfriends got himself a nikon D50. He's totally new to digital and he got it for $74.00. Its a good day :)

I'm a happy girl. Got the tamron 18-270, battery grip and boyfriends got himself a nikon D50. He's totally new to digital and he got it for $74.00. Its a good day :)

Hurray for new stuff! Wow, D50 for $74...good deal for sure. The D50 has a reputation as producing good SOOC JPEGs, with more vibrance and saturation than other small Nikons from its era. (It was probably the first Nikon to have the 'new Nikon look', as opposed to the old D100/D70/D70s "flat look" JPEGs.

Hurray for new stuff! Wow, D50 for $74...good deal for sure. The D50 has a reputation as producing good SOOC JPEGs, with more vibrance and saturation than other small Nikons from its era. (It was probably the first Nikon to have the 'new Nikon look', as opposed to the old D100/D70/D70s "flat look" JPEGs.

Derrell, I told him if he didn't buy it I was going to buy if for him. I've never seen them that price, and for his needs its perfect. He can also use my lenses on it (except for the new one because I don't want to share it yet). The sales guy was trying to sell me an older 500 but the tripod mount was missing and it was really slow and heavy. I'm happy with what I ot and we did get the 3 years warranty on the lens. The batter grip was an added bonus but for $54 I couldn't say no. I've wanted one for awhile. Hopefully yomorrow I'll get decent weather to go out and do some shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back