Lens Thread

joe.absolutely

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, firstly i want to say that i am new here and hello to all.

I just recently purchased the new Canon T2i (550D) and am looking at getting a better wide-angle lens for it, but have read sooo many terrible reviews on lenses that i figured i'd find a forum to post on and ask people that have a better take on the quality and brand knowledge of different lenses. So, just for foreshadow i am looking for good quality glass/build/aperture for a decent price (redundant, i know haha), about 17mm for wide-angle and not a lot of zoom (since it will mostly be used for wide-angle use).

these are a few lenses i have been looking at:

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro

...i've heard good things about Tamron and Sigma lenses, i'm just not sure if these particular lenses are any good as far as build and glass quality. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thank you. =)

There's something to be said for a constant apeture throughout the focal range of a zoom lens. You only listed one. Check out photozone.de, dpreview.com and fredmiranda.com for decent lens reviews.

i figured i'd list a couple of lenses that i had my eye on just to see if someone about opinions on the lens and the brand names too.

17mm isn't really all that wide on that camera. Yes, it's 'wide' by traditional standards...but only as wide as 28mm on a 35mm film camera. It's not 'ultra wide' by any means.

If you want a truly wide view, you need to look at lenses down around 10-12mm.

The Canon EF-S 10-22mm is one of the best lenses in that category. Another highly rated lens is the Sigma 10-20mm, and it's a good bit less expensive than the Canon.
I still went with the Canon, and I love it.

not really looking for "ultra-wide" just something with a good amount of wide-angle and still a little zoom, hence why i posted 17-50/70/85mm lenses..........

I'm thinking i may go with the Tamron, but was still considering the Sigma just because it has a little better telephoto capability...but with less aperture.

Most reactions

Back