Lens Upgrade

blind1587

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking to replace the 18-105VR kit lens. At the moment, I own the kit lens as well as a Tamron 90mm macro.

I am considering the Sigma 17-50 F2.8. Any opinions on this lens?

Also, is there an fx format lens comparable to the sigma? I am considering purchasing fx format so that when I choose to upgrade the camera, the transition can be more seamless and will be able to use the lens I already own.

BTW, I am shooting with a Nikon d7100

Thanks!

I have the 18-105mm and the tammy macro. I bought the sigma 17-50mm f2.8 with OS a few months back. I am very happy with it and would recommend if you get it at the right price

I did still keep the 18-105 which I really like as a good walkaround zoom when light levels are good

The Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 is a fine lens but if you are planning to go FX then dont bother with DX lenses, you will save yourself money at the long run and a pain to sell and buy lenses in the future.
Good lens in this range will be the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G or the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC
Not cheap lenses but they are the top in their class and simply amazing lenses, I own the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G which I bought used and I cant see myself leaving home without it!
I used it on both my D7100 and now D750

I'd say buy dx for now. If you go fx then you wouldn't lose much on your lens if you sell.

If you buy fx there's a good chance the range won't suit, 24-70 on dx would leave most wanting at the wider end ( obviously that's user preference). If you didn't go fx later then it would be an awkward focal length and way more expensive starting out.

I bought my sigma for 230 Euro second hand. I think that's about 250/260 dollars. I'd expect to get at least 200 Euro if I sold it this time next year. I think buying for now might be a better move.

Also seriously consider the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4. OK, it's not f/2.8 through it's whole range but it has a usefully longer reach than the 17-50 and it focuses closer and thus also has the useful extra of getting you nearer to macro territory for close ups.
My wife has one on her D5500. It's a great, sharp, lens.

Thanks for all your advice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back