What's new

Lens

If you are still learning the 50mm f1.8 II is plenty capable however you could find a used (cheaper) copy on KEH.com
 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I own the 50 mm 1.8 :lol:

Just want an upgrade.

Nice! Penta-Bokeh is annoying isn't it... Before you buy you need to know that every once in a while there have been cases where there are focusing issues with the Sigma, just food for thought.
 
The Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM is on sale now through Amazon for $299, and I do believe that yesterday I also saw it listed through B&H Photo for $299. It is a very nice lens...compact, and with lovely bokeh. It is not a HUGE, heavy 50mm lens, like the Sigma is. The Sigma is gigantic for a lens of its focal length and speed--the largest,heaviest 50mm f/1.4 I have ever,ever seen. The Canon 50/1.4 is "normal" in size and weight.
 
I own the 50 mm 1.8 :lol:

Just want an upgrade.

Nice! Penta-Bokeh is annoying isn't it... Before you buy you need to know that every once in a while there have been cases where there are focusing issues with the Sigma, just food for thought.

Yes, Sigma is a lottery. Hit or miss in terms of focusing. My 30mm 1.4 had to be sent in for calibration for a pretty bad front focusing problem, but after getting it back, it's been awesome and at less than half the price of the Canon 35mm f1.4 lens.
 
I might have one. Email me

Jacobwilson at me dot com
 
I have the Sigma 50 1.4 and really like it. It is nice and sharp.
 
Jacobwilson said:
I might have one. Email me

Jacobwilson at me dot com

Canon or sigma.
I'd actually prefer canon I've seen bad reviews on sigma that it either works good or doesn't.
 
I was in the same boat, trying to decide between the Canon and Sigma. I read about quality issues on both the Canon and Sigma. And after reading more about the 50 f1.4 here on this forum and scoring a great deal on Canon's site ($299 + free SD card and shipping ) I'm happy I went with the Canon version.
 
07Vios said:
Yes, Sigma is a lottery. Hit or miss in terms of focusing. My 30mm 1.4 had to be sent in for calibration for a pretty bad front focusing problem, but after getting it back, it's been awesome and at less than half the price of the Canon 35mm f1.4 lens.

But, the sigma doesn't produce a large enough image circle to be used with a full frame body, it isn't weather sealed, and it doesn't render OOF areas as nicely. That's mainly why it's so much less.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom