Lense for indoor pics

seandarcher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I've recently purchased a Nikon D3100. I'm interested in taking internal shots for rooms and was wondering what lense would be best? I would like to capture the whole room(well most of it) in one shot, so would a 14mm do the job or would i need to go lower?

Hi

I've recently purchased a Nikon D3100. I'm interested in taking internal shots for rooms and was wondering what lense would be best? I would like to capture the whole room(well most of it) in one shot, so would a 14mm do the job or would i need to go lower?
Depends, is the whole room a bedroom or a ballroom?

Depends how big the room is ;)
However you might find you need to push further still for one of the ultra wide angle lens options - a 10-20mm or 8-16mm for example. However if you start using those wide lenses in close indoor environments chances are you'll pick up a lot of barrel distortion which you'll have to correct in editing (DxO labs makes a good correction software package for this).

A better option would be to make use of a shorter focal length lens that will have more minimal distortion and then to use a tripod and stitch photos together to produce a final image that has the wider angle of view with reduced distortion. In addition to the tripod you'll likely need a pair of focusing rails to set the camera correctly over the tripod so that as it turns you don't pick up on distortion; there are guides out there on the net that can give more details; unfortunately I don't know any specific references nor sufficient detail to give you much more. However hopefully I've given enough of an idea to give you something to work with in google and hopefully someone else around here can pitch in with some more specific info to help

oops, yes it would be bedrooms in houses...

Following up on Overread's post here is what I fabricated to supplement focusing rails for pano shots. The rails allow you to get the lens over the point of rotation & the homemade bracket to mount the camera vertical to provide a taller image.

Panamod.jpg

IMG_4015sm.jpg

Most reactions

Back