Lenses for my Minolta SRT 101b?

a_spaceman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello! first post, just (finally) got a nice camera today, a Minolta SRT 101b.
i've been wanting a camera like that since i tryied my girlfriend's (a canon something...?! sorry, still a beginner!). grabbed it in a charity shop for about 14 pounds... good pick i guess?

anyway!

back to the topic... i was wondering what kind of other lenses i could get for it. the one it cam with is a 50mm mc rokkor, which as far as i know is the standard lens these kind of cameras came it. seems to work fine so far but i'd be interested in trying something new, especially i'd love to get a fisheye lens.
now my question is: is there a particular size of lens that will fit on my camera and some that won't? if so, how can i tell which diameter my camera is?
the lens cover says 57mm but i guess it's just for the outer ring so it doesn't have anything to do with that. right?

thanks in advance for any kind of help/advice!

a.

Wow, I used a Minolta 102 a very, very, long time ago. There are all kinds of Minolta lenses that you would find in used stores, as well as Tokina lenses that are compatible. I still occasionally use a Tokina 70mm to 200mm 3.5 and a Vivitar 28mm prime that is very sharp with little or no distortion on a Minolta XD11 that was very similar to the Leica SLR when they were manufacturing each others cameras.

skieur

thank you very much for your hints, didn't know about tokina lenses. will check them out.
i did some further researches on the internet and found out my camera takes all the mc and md lenses but there are plenty of adapters available. that should mean i'll hardly have a problem with most lenses i guess?
and if you have an idea... i got my minolta srt 101b for 14 pounds... is it a good deal? guessing that you can hardly find anything under that price tag, how much do they usually go for?
just curious about that...!

thank you very much for your hints, didn't know about tokina lenses. will check them out.
i did some further researches on the internet and found out my camera takes all the mc and md lenses but there are plenty of adapters available. that should mean i'll hardly have a problem with most lenses i guess?
and if you have an idea... i got my minolta srt 101b for 14 pounds... is it a good deal? guessing that you can hardly find anything under that price tag, how much do they usually go for?
just curious about that...!

The Minolta SRT 101b was worth about 150 pounds or so originally. I don't know what they go for, at the moment.

skieur

The entire series of MC (and, I believe, MD) lenses work with your camera. Minolta made excellent glass and there is a full range available. I used to have an XD-11 and had a wide variety from my 24mm to my 300mm

The entire series of MC (and, I believe, MD) lenses work with your camera. Minolta made excellent glass and there is a full range available. I used to have an XD-11 and had a wide variety from my 24mm to my 300mm

Yes, the MD glass works on the SRT 101, Sadly my Minolta glass selection is very limmited, I have a great MD 50mm (but you don't need a 50mm I see) and a very nice Vivitar 70-150 (Close focusing/Macro) Zoom. It's a good focal length to have, Sorry that is all the helpful I can be :(

As for the diameter, it changes from lens to lens, you would have to check each lens individually. My MD 50mm is 49mm and my 70-150 is 52mm, so don't worry about that untill you go looking for filters for lenses.

Also, when buying lenses for this camera, make sure you inspect the lens thouroughly for fungus. It's not so common that one should stay away but common enough to warrent a good looking over with every lens. If there is fungus, don't buy, if not go for it.

Last edited:
The ancient Minolta lenses of the last century were great- used to work on those! Minolta was one of the few companies who actually made their own glass.

Hey Spaceman -

Welcome to the Minolta World! I am an avid Minolta user. In fact, i shoot Minolta gear exclusively. There are many Groups on flickr who are similarly disposed if you ever want deeper information.

For starters, your lens uses 55mm *diameter* filters - a standard for Minolta until the early '80s.

Secondly; Regarding lenses to look for, because there are soooo many, i choose Minolta MC Rokkor-X lenses with very few exceptions. Many Minoltians prefer them as well.

Thirdly; There are Minolta 16mm Fish-eye lenses, though they are rare. Check e-Bay and search for Rokkor and you will see many results.

Enjoy your SRT - they are great cameras - i use mine regularly!

frank

Hey Spaceman -

Welcome to the Minolta World! I am an avid Minolta user. In fact, i shoot Minolta gear exclusively. There are many Groups on flickr who are similarly disposed if you ever want deeper information.

For starters, your lens uses 55mm *diameter* filters - a standard for Minolta until the early '80s.

Secondly; Regarding lenses to look for, because there are soooo many, i choose Minolta MC Rokkor-X lenses with very few exceptions. Many Minoltians prefer them as well.

Thirdly; There are Minolta 16mm Fish-eye lenses, though they are rare. Check e-Bay and search for Rokkor and you will see many results.

Enjoy your SRT - they are great cameras - i use mine regularly!

frank
thank you!
i took few pictures this morning in around the beautiful woods by the baltic sea near my home. i got sooooooo angry when i found out the plastic shell of the film roll broke or something and didn't roll back properly! now chances are i won't get a single photo out of it and i so can't wait to see the results!
it was nice to acknowledge it wasn't a problem caused by the camera tho :wink:
i'll be in my second (or third?) hometown, london, next week and there are so many places i have in my mind to go snapping, so i'll have plenty of chances to experiment with it. and -thanks god- plenty of time, too!

just missed a rokkor zoom 25-75mm lens on ebay today! hopefully something alike (in price, too) will pop up again soon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back