Lenses for Nikon D80?

bulletproof_cupid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I'm a newbie in photography and I've just got the Nikon D80 body. Now I need to buy a proper lens which I'm going to use mainly for portrait and macro photography, but I don't know much about lenses. Please help me in the choice between Tamron AF55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II Macro LD, Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC and Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro.

Thank you.

None of those lenses are true macro lenses. If you want a good macro lens the nikkor 105mm 2.8 is great but since you're on a budget it's hard to say. I don't know much about those lenses but what is your budget?
tj

The minimum you're going to spend on a true 1-1 macro lens is 300 bucks for the Sigma 105 F/2.8. That is the lens you should be looking for online or in your local craigslist. Those lenses you mentioned can get "close", sure - but are not true macro lenses.

However, depending on their minimum focusing distance, they may satisfy for what you consider "macro". Be aware that a true 1-1 macro lens is going to have a RIDICULOUS sliver of focus if you pull that guy all the way down to its minimum focusing distance. Not only that but whatever you are photographing will have to remain incredibly still, and well lit, since - at a dinstance of what like a few inches - your body is going to be covering most of the natural light spilling on to your subject.

Just some food for thought before you go out and drop some cash. Make sure what you need is actually what you want.

Try this, and I'm not joking - worked wonders for EVERYONE I've advised.
Google B&H Photo Video, Adorama, Focus Camera, call the stores and tell them what you need/want, your budget, & they'll work with you. Find the cheapest one and/or see if you can get a price match.
Those are the only three big stores I know (maybe cause I'm from NY and they are here too). For price consults and used depts, I often contact B&H, Adorama. Focus located about 10-15min drive from my house so little things like filters, batteries, I pick up there.
Good Luck

TJ K, well, I'm searching for something cheaper, something about $230.

ANDS!, thank you for your advice, I'll certainly think about it.

IgsEMT, I've already search the B&H store, but the problem for me is that I'm from Bulgaria and if you add the shipping price it happens to be the same as the prices here. So there's no point of it actually.

Last edited:
I think there's an old manual focus Nikon (Nikkor) lens, like a 105mm for pretty cheap, only available used but it's got really good reviews.

If I have time later I'll try and find it.

Google B&H Photo Video, Adorama, Focus Camera, call the stores and tell them what you need/want, your budget, & they'll work with you. Find the cheapest one and/or see if you can get a price match......I often contact B&H, Adorama.

We are certainly open to price matching other reputable retailers......

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back