What's new

Lenses for specific needs

juztin

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm about to order a Canon 550D body and I've been looking at lenses. I'm new to the SLR scene. I need lenses that are really good for the following situations:

1) Portraits (possibly low light) at bars/cafes or out and about with really, really good bokeh effects. I love this effect.
2) Very arty landscape shots - probably sunsets or ocean/cliff shots. Possibly funky filters, toy lenses, etc here. (maybe some arty macro shots - not a priority though)
3) Action zoom shots - fast shots of surfers from the beach - Sequences and HD video - medium/big zoom!

Also if you think I'm going the wrong way with a 550D let me know. Or if you think I should just get the 450D/500D and save some cash...

I am pretty keen to get IS in the lenses - cause I'll be doing handheld shots mainly (except the surf shots).

I forgot to mention I'm on a TIGHT BUDGET! ... will have to sell body parts for each lens I buy. lol
 
BTW - the 550D is also known as the "Rebel T2i" or the "Kiss X4"
 
Do you realize that the lenses that will do what you want them to do will cost at least 6 times what your camera cost, not to mention any kind of lighting gear?

"Maximum/Big Zoom" in camera talk equals 10000 plus, assuming you actually meant reach or your ability to 'zoom in' to your subject instead of just a large zoom range(which is still expensive just with worse quality).

Why don't we start with one type of photography that you are really interested in and a price range? You might be able to get better feedback with a bit more info.
 
Last edited:
1)Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for low-light and artsy bokeh effects
2)Lensbaby, the ORIGINAL model
3)Tamron 200-500mm
 
Yea I know tele lenses can be expensive. Maybe I can just hire one on good surf days.
 
I'm about to order a Canon 550D body and I've been looking at lenses. I'm new to the SLR scene. I need lenses that are really good for the following situations:

1) Portraits (possibly low light) at bars/cafes or out and about with really, really good bokeh effects. I love this effect.
2) Very arty landscape shots - probably sunsets or ocean/cliff shots. Possibly funky filters, toy lenses, etc here. (maybe some arty macro shots - not a priority though)
3) Action zoom shots - fast shots of surfers from the beach - Sequences and HD video - medium/big zoom!
Portraits are done with a variety of lenses.

Action shots from the beach requires a lot of reach. Reach is not cheap.

One of the best deals available today is Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Then next step up requires a much bigger wallet - Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM Super Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

I used to use the Sigma 150-500 to shoot soccer from end line to end line at 500 mm, to give you an idea of how much reach you will need to shoot surfing from the beach.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom