What's new

Lenses for XSi

Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Location
NB Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! So I want a new lens for Christmas and I don't know which one would be best. Just wondering if you could help me out..

Here is what I have access to

Canon EF 50mm F1.8 $129

Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM $719

Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS $599

Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS

Tamron SP AF 17-50MM F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)



It will be used indoors in pretty bad lighting. I'm the school photographer and have been trying to take pictures with my 55-250mm but it's really tough because of the huge zoom on it, I'd like something under 55 so the last three are the most ideal I think.
 
I have the Tamrom 17-50mm F/2.8 and it is on my camera most of the time. However, if you are taking photos indoor with low ceiling, a external flash that allow you to bounce the light off the wall or ceiling is a better choice.

When I took photos at a indoor event such as birthday party, bounce flash looks better than set the lens to F/2.8 and up the ISO.
 
The 50mm 1.8 or Tamron 2.8 would be your best bets.

The 70-200 is a sharp lens, but its only f4 and doesnt have the IS. I'd skip over that if you are mainly looking for lower light / indoor shooting.

My lens progression with my XSI has been:
started with cheap 22-50 and 50-200
Adding: 50 1.8, Canon 10-22, Tamron 28-75, Canon 70-300.
Next in line... 50 1.4, a 17-55 or 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS or 4 IS
But before all that is a 7D
 
Thanks guys, I ended up going with the 50 mm, I had it before and liked it a lot for the price. but it broke during the summer :( and I was wondering if I should get something else.
 
If you are looking for a good 50 mm, and your budget allows it. Go for the 50mm f/1.4 USM. I was considering the 1.8 also, but Derrel and a few other members informed me of its flimsy construction. So I went for the 1.4 (which is awesome). It's much more sturdy and you don't have to worry about it falling apart. On top of that's it's a USM lens and it has a AF Over ride so that you can fine tune the focus at any point. You just can't have your camera on AF Servo whilst doing so or else it will continuously refocus.

Eeeedit: I see that you went with the 1.8 now. Good luck with it!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom